issues with timing retarding and cam position codes

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

pjt8362

issues with timing retarding and cam position codes

Postby pjt8362 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:31 am

2003 Nissan Pathfinder V6

Initial issues were codes that called out O2 sensor, cam position sensor and Cats
Replaces upstream Bank 2 O2 sensor and code went away
Replaced camshaft and cam position sensors and problem did not go away
Read about low oil causing Cam position sensor codes

The oil feeds the timing module, and when the oil gets low the module can not operate and retards the timing so far that the car runs very bad, We changed the oil and the issues all went away for 4 weeks. Oil got 2500 miles on it and the codes came back. We added oil and codes went away for a few weeks. Now the oil has 1500 miles on the change and the code will not go away. When the issue happens the timing is retarded to about -7. We can turn the car off for 60 seconds and the car runs fine. The issue is now coming back every day or so, and we are not sure of the cause.

I have also ran a live data plot on the O2 sensors and they are fine. Upstream sensors are going from .15 to .95 volts about three times per second and the downstream sensors are staying constant at .75 to .80, so Cats are fine.

I think the issue is with the timing interface module but I do not know how to test it.

I use a live data plotter to monitor the timing advance and in normal operation the timing is at 10 degrees at idle and goes up to 20 while driving. When the issue occurs the timing goes down to -7 degrees and the car will hardly run. We shut down the engine for 60 seconds and it runs fine. The issue mostly occurs when car runs at operating temperature and the outside temp is over 80.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”