'06 Pathfinder - IPDM, Cat Converter and now ECM relay

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:25 am

Citcope wrote: i received a letter from Nissan about the radiator recall but they would only do it if my Path had under 80,000 or under 5yr old. I havent tried to take it in for that since my car has 95,000mi but i am thinking about contacting Nissan to see if they will still fix it.
this is not a recall, but an extended warranty item
also the coverage is extended to 80,000 miles/8 years (not 5 yrs) :wink:

Citcope

Postby Citcope » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:40 am

my bad i didnt type exactly what it said. but yeah you are right that what it is. and not what i had originally stated. 8)

Commander

Postby Commander » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:40 am

Ok, glad I stumbled on this discussion.

I just had the ECM recall done on Monday. Then 3 days later my Pathfinder threw a code for the catalytic converter in bank 2 being bad. Seems very coincidental and now the dealer wants to charge me $1200 + labor. Can anyone advise if the ECM work could cause this Catalytic Converter code? I read all of the posts and someone did mention replacing the IPDM (not sure what that is yet) fixed the issue and that it was an erroneous code.

Info:

2005 Pathfinder, 87,000 miles.

JP636

Postby JP636 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:19 pm

About a year ago my IPDM and cat 2 went out. I had to pay around $1,600 to fix both of those. Approximately 3 months later cat 1 went out. That was another $1,100 repair. The dealership was able to get Nissan to cover $700 of it, so I only ended up paying $400. I considered myself lucky and didn't press the issue. And of course this all happened after my 100k warranty went out.

I guess I just wanted to let everyone else know that there's another Nissan customer who paid through the nose to get the IPDM / catalytic converter repair. I got the recall notice today about the ECM. And, we've had the issue where the a/c blows only cold air when the heater is on and the car is just idling.

My wife and I are in the process of buying a new car and just want to cut our losses. It has over 153,000 miles.

05 pathy

I am in the same boat here

Postby 05 pathy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:57 pm

Ok there is definitely a pattern here. Vehicle was stalling so I had the dealer do the ECM relay. Still was stalling so I swapped out the IPDM believing it was fried. Then my fuel pump goes out and now my bank 2 cat is bad code P0430. All within a week of each other. This vehicle is turning into a nightmare. I guess my next step is to fix the cat, but what is causing this bad chain reaction of events here? Anyone get this solved or do they just get frustrated and get rid of them???

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:12 am

Citcope the Honda pilot also has its own issues. the biggest issue is with the ac. do your research before you take the plunge. i work for Honda and almost bought one. my path as 113k with few issues. knock on wood. i drive it all over the place and without a second thought.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: I am in the same boat here

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:52 pm

05 pathy wrote:Ok there is definitely a pattern here. Vehicle was stalling so I had the dealer do the ECM relay. Still was stalling so I swapped out the IPDM believing it was fried. Then my fuel pump goes out and now my bank 2 cat is bad code P0430. All within a week of each other. This vehicle is turning into a nightmare. I guess my next step is to fix the cat, but what is causing this bad chain reaction of events here? Anyone get this solved or do they just get frustrated and get rid of them???
My guess is that there was nothing wrong with the ECM relay or IPDM and the problem was the fuel pump all along, which was probably causing a lean condition and the stalling and "possibly" damaged the catalytic converter. The original reason why IPDM's were replaced in early R51's was because Nissan said the ECM relay was not replaceable, which wasn't true. When people started using $10 aftermarket relays in place of the ECM relay rather than replace the IPDM, Nissan suddenly deemed the relay "serviceable" and now you can get the relays for just a few dollars. When the relays failed, it wasn't that the vehicles just simply stalled out, but would surge violently and dash lights would flash on-and-off and cut off. While it is possible for an IPDM to fail, by your own words you never properly diagnosed it as being bad and replaced it because "thought it was fried." As far as the catalytic converter, it's impossible to say at this point whether it failed because of the fuel pump issue or not, because many converters on these vehicles have simply become inefficient at breaking down the emissions, which is what usually causes the P0420/P0430 trouble codes. That said, an improperly running engine is never a good thing for a catalytic converter.

05 pathy

Postby 05 pathy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:09 pm

Thankyou smj999smj and jahblessings. Smj999 would you mind reading my other thread in the misc sect about the fuel pump? I would be very relieved if the fuel pump was all it was. I agree the vehicle never got diagnosed properly, but in my defense I was on a road trip and every time I was at a dealer the condition could not be repeated, and there were no check engine lights. Could they have done anything more diagnostically with no CEL?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:24 pm

They could have used a fuel pressure gauge to test the fuel pressure and see if it was within factory specs.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”