2008 Pathfinder S towing a Salem Cruise Lite advice

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

ournewadventure

2008 Pathfinder S towing a Salem Cruise Lite advice

Postby ournewadventure » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:41 am

New to the forum and hello to all. We have an 08 Pathfinder with the v6 4x4 and recently purchased a new tt. It is a Salem Cruise Lite261BH with dry weight of 4313 and hitch weight of 434lbs. So far my mods are air lift 1000, with the 72000 wireless compressor, AFE intake, Airade tb spacer, Bully Dog programmer, ETP IMS spacer, getting Magnaflow muffler put on, trailer brake controller and yes I have a WDH with anti sway. We are running Firestone Destination AT tires stock size except I choose load E for the rear. We have always run premium fuel and the programer is set to regular tune. Oil has always been synthetic and the past 5 changes have been Royal Purple. So here is my question besides the bypass is there anything else I am missing before I start towing? Seems many here have plenty of pulling experience with these suvs. There are only 79000 miles on ours and it has been a great vehicle so far. I am experienced pulling trailers just from work but the work trucks are considerably larger than the Path. I was thinking of getting new springs, shocks and struts from 4x4 parts as well as powerstop rotors. Only because the rear springs seem very soft and have read some of you have done this with good results.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:50 am

The bypass will limit the trans cooling ability. I chose to replace the radiator to maintain cooling and yet avoid the costly dreaded coolant contamination

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:19 pm

You should be fine with your set up I have towed my Jayco travel trailer many miles with both a Dodge Durango and an 06-V6 Toyota 4Runner without any issues. My Jayco is the same size and weight as your camper and although I have not towed it yet with my 2012 Pathy (new to me) reports are it will tow quite similar to my 06 4Runner. The key to it is just take it easy you need to realize you are not a large V8 pick up truck so when you get to a hill or steep grade put her in 3rd gear and drop your speed down to 55/60 mph. This will prevent the trans from getting to hot as they don't like to hunt for gears that's how they generate to much heat. Keep an eye on your sway if you have a simple friction bar sway control I find running them real tight really helps but what ever you do remove the sway bar before you back up into your camping space or you will prob bend the sway unit in half. You sound like you have a real good set up so good luck and happy camping!

ournewadventure

Postby ournewadventure » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:59 am

Thanks for the info Kestral and CPLTECH. Well first trip was a success went from Belton, MO (which is just south of KC) to Rock Falls, IL (which is 90 miles west of Chicago IL. Round trip miles were just over 915. I chose to leave the radiator alone for the time being since it is all under warranty anyway. On the way up there was no wind and had the Bully set to regular. Gas mileage was 10.5 mpg but it slowed to 50 pulling steeper hills. Yes could have shifted to third but it was at night and traffic was minimal. I installed a Pro Series WD hitch with friction sway and it was after I returned home I realized I should have had two. It suggested trailers over 26' use two and I overlooked it. So on the way back I changed the program to the premium setting and you can easily tell the power difference towing. gas mileage dropped to 9.4 but it pulled all hills fine. Also the wind was bad and averaging 30mph through IL and IA. I stopped at the I80 truck stop and decided to weigh on the Cat scale. Our gcvw was 10400 and then when I pulled of the scale there was a little dip. We heard a loud pop and I had the friction sway way to tight and it sheared off. I drove carefully without it till I found a hardware store and remounted it with grade 8 bolts and washers. I then loosened it some and it was fine the rest of the drive. We had out exhaust done right before we left and removed the rear cats, replaced muffler with a magnaflow and he changed the rear resonator. I am confident that it helped with power but the cabin drone under load is horrible. I do not know how bad it sounds outside but inside is embarrassing. Maybe different muffler will help I was thinking maybe a borla. The exhaust shop ran 2.5" Y from cats to single 2.5" in and 2.5" out. They also ran the tip out the side behind the rear of the wheel on passenger side to keep exhaust off the trailer. All in all I have a few kinks to work out before our next trip in September but we were happy and surprised with our pulling performance.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:46 am

It sounds like you have a good handle on things. Years ago my father also snapped off his sway control mounts before switching to two friction bar sway control units and it made a huge difference he also did not need to crank the pressure out of the one unit just "tight" on both. I hope you get that exhaust drone worked out that drone noise can be annoying. Keep me posted I love talking towing and it's good to share towing tips the more info you have on the subject the better your trip will go.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”