tranny slippping

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

FreQ

tranny slippping

Postby FreQ » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:34 am

So my 05 4wd with just shy of 106k mileshas started slipping when it tries to go into 2nd from 1st it's just recently started and only when it's hot and after driving for a while if I let it sit and cool down it's back to normal.. I don't know of any previous service that's ever been done but I'm thinking and hoping that a tranny flush and fill will help solve the problem. I've checked mtt fluid and it seems broken down and no signs of water seepage and yes I've done my radiator bypass lol also what fluid should i use oem Nissan or can I use a differentbranded I hate that nissan is like 8 bucks a qt

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:59 am

Castrol Multi-import ATF is actually the same thing as Nissan Type "J" ATF, as Castrol supplies the ATF to Nissan. Most synthetic ATF's will be compatible with Nissan Types "D," "J," "S," and "K" ATF's, but make sure you check and be sure it states it's recommended for use in Nissan Type J or Type S applications. Personally, I've been using Valvoline Maxlife ATF in both a 2006 LE and 2008 LE and it's been working just fine. I pick it up in a 1-gallon jug from Advance Auto Parts. I also use it in the transfer cases.

roosta

Postby roosta » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:06 pm

I too have had good luck with the Valvoline Maxlife ATF. Check your ATF to make sure it's not burned. If you're getting slipping after it gets up to temp it might just need a drain and fill to replace the cooked fluid.

When you did the bypass did you add another cooler?

FreQ

Postby FreQ » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:07 am

No I haven't added another cooler yet I'm planning to but funds are tight andn Indonesia pull and she very rarely does anything off road. What's the best way to change it drop the pan or to pull the hoses apart and run it through the gears replacing it in small steps

roosta

Postby roosta » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:09 am

I pulled the hoses where I did the bypass and let it pump it out, adding a little fluid at a time until it looked better. It more or less dilutes the old atf with new. If you're interested in seeing if there's more to it than old fluid you might want to drop the pan and see what's going on inside. That's assuming you know what to look for. Personally, I wouldn't know what to look for short of sludge or metal particulate.

Good luck and keep us posted.

FreQ

Postby FreQ » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:33 am

Thanks I'll be doing the change this weekend I'll keep y'all updated do you remember how much you used?

roosta

Postby roosta » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:58 am

I used a couple of gallons. It was enough to cycle through and give it the bright red coloration. It's not quite the 10 7/8 qt capacity but I figure it was enough to dilute and replace most of the old fluid.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:54 pm

Your symptoms sound a lot like old burnt fluid. If it doesn't do it when the car is cold but rather when the car has been running for a while where the fluid gets warm, most likely you will benefit from a full fluid change as the others have said.

Id like to add... never do a flush to an auto transmission unless its already done and you're looking for a last savior.

As an old honda mechanic i have seen some shot auto transmissions. I would recommend the 3 times drain and fill method. What this means is drain refill, drive 10 miles (enough to cycle the fluid and let it mix with the old) then drain again and repeat. By the end of the 3x drain and fill u should be around 88%+/- (i may be wrong on exact amount but its close to 90%) The reason we just recommend the 3x and not 4x or more is the cost to fluid benefit isn't warranted after 3 times.

My v8 pathfinders auto transmission uses almost exactly 4 quarts on a single drain and fill. So I buy 12 quarts for the full 3x method.

I hope this wasn't confusing... If so let me know and ill explain further.

FreQ

Postby FreQ » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Are y'all using the maxlife that's in the red bottle cause what I've found says dexron/mercon

roosta

Postby roosta » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:50 pm

That's the stuff. The back lists all the compatibility. 5th bullet point: Nissan/Infiniti matic-D, matic-J, matic-K, matic-S.

FreQ

Postby FreQ » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:33 am

Yea I saw that after doing some more research last night

FreQ

Postby FreQ » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:19 am

http://imgur.com/XKoXBih

There's a comparison from what was in it to the new fluid

That's the first change about to do the second in a few minutes

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”