loud pop then hesitates at about 1500rpm

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

only_oneA

loud pop then hesitates at about 1500rpm

Postby only_oneA » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:15 pm

so i have a 95 pathfinder and i replaced the head gaskets and performed the broken stud repair. so i properly torqued everything to spec. the timing was set properly spun it over twice before turning the car on. there are only two things i did not do. one was the whole feeler gauge between the timing belt and tensioner. the other was torquing down the passengers side rocker arms as described on autozone. i did torque them to spec, but just not the same way it says to do it. instead i torqued them when i saw that non of the rocker arms were moving. figured at that point non of the valves were being open, which i figured is probably how you want to do it. other then those two things everything was done properly and to spec. so once i had everything put together i actually ran the car like 4 or 5 times for a good while. it ran fine did not hesitate was not smoking was running perfect. then i parked it and reved it up a few times then i heard a loud pop from the passengers side bank and it started to run ruff missfiring and hesitating hard at about 1500rpm. at idle it runs super smooth, after shifting it to 2nd gear and getting over the 1500rpm it seams to run fine as well. so i need some help in figuring it out. the only thing i can think of is maybe a bent valve on the passengers side bank. how can i check for a bent valve other then removing the head again? is it possible? well any help would be greatly appreciated.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:54 pm

Compression test and cylinder leakdown test would tell you if you have a valve issue.

only_oneA

Postby only_oneA » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:34 pm

k, cool any idea on what values i should be getting? im guessing check the timing first just incase? the belt was winning just a tad bit. thanks for the help
i really want to keep this truck. i bought it just a couple months ago knowing that it needed a little work. i still have not even been able to take it any where. but know im not so sure if ill end up keeping it.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”