My rig doesn't have a check engine light?

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

AKdrawscars

My rig doesn't have a check engine light?

Postby AKdrawscars » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:55 pm

I have a 92 se-v6 that doesn't have a check engine light, but is exempt from requiring one. Still passed.

The guy at the smog shop has very bad broken English and I didnt really understand what he said.

Can anyone help me with an answer? :?:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:10 pm

Directly in the middle of the instrument cluster, between the tach and the speedometer, should be a light that says, "CHECK," when you turn the key to the "ON" position and the cluster performs its bulb check. If it doesn't light up, it could be that the bulb is burned out.

AKdrawscars

Postby AKdrawscars » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:50 pm

see, thats the thing, there is NOTHING. i was told by the smog guy to change the bulb, so i took it to a shop to have it fixed. They called me back saying there was nothing in the dash. No bulb, no fuse, nothing. So i had them talk to the smog tech and he looked it up in the Mitchell book and it said that my truck is under federal law, or something, that exempts it from having a check engine light, so it had technically passed the first time. (he faild for no light)

any idea what that law or "technicality" is? i have never owned or seen a vehicle with no check engine light.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:47 pm

I'm assuming he is referring to "federal emissions certification," as opposed to "California emissions certification," which typically have more stringent emissions specifications. The emissions certification is listed on a sticker placed under the hood, if it's still there.

AKdrawscars

Postby AKdrawscars » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:44 pm

thanx dude, you are very helpful

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”