Rattle inside tailgate

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

Oly 22

Rattle inside tailgate

Postby Oly 22 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:58 pm

I have an rattle inside the rear tailgate, which is getting slightly annoying. How do you remove the rear plastic interior panel, without breaking anything?

Too many bumps and bangs, I guess.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:53 pm

Find a way to support the liftgate...i.e. treestand jack. Disconnect the support lifts from the lift gate. Remove the cover around the rear window latch. I believe there's a handle on the bottom of the panel that has two screws that need to be removed and it pops out. The panel is then held to the liftgate with plastic clips. Use a panel tool or similar tool to pull part of the panel down and pull the panel off the tailgate with your hands.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:17 am

I had a rattle back there at one point and I was able to stop it without taking everything apart. There's a panel that pops out and gives you some access, which I think is for the emergency release. Something around that mechanism was rattling on mine and I strategically placed some foam around the latch. No more rattle. It's been a couple years so I can't quite visualize it in my head but I would try snooping around that panel before tearing everything apart. Sometimes you create more rattles than you had before!

SteveFinn

Postby SteveFinn » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:30 am

I can pinpoint to the minute when I developed a rattle inside my tailgate....my wife decided to slam the tailgate shut (even though she knew it had a soft close latch). I haven't been motivated to try to fix it, since I only hear it when I open the tailgate.

NoCode

Postby NoCode » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:21 pm

Mine sounds like a clip or something broke off inside the gate. Only hear it when I raise and lower it, can hear it rolling around. Annoying but I worry about doing more damage by trying to get to it so I just let it go.

Oly 22

Postby Oly 22 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:42 pm

Thanks guys, I will try a few things first, before taking the plastic panels off but at first inspection, nothing seems obvious.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:20 pm

NoCode wrote:Mine sounds like a clip or something broke off inside the gate. Only hear it when I raise and lower it, can hear it rolling around. Annoying but I worry about doing more damage by trying to get to it so I just let it go.
I've got the same thing, but it sounds like a small rock every time I open or shut it. It's on my list of things to do, and I think I'm going to stuff a bit of foam in there when I tackle it.

Path-Less

Postby Path-Less » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:08 pm

I had a small rattle back there which I thought might have been a rock or a screw of some sort. I removed the panel to find it was one of the white plastic clips from behind the license plate. The license plate was still screwed in fine but the clips the screw attaches too are very cheap and parts break off into the tailgate. this might be whats rattling around back there.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”