Nitto Crosstek Part II

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

aadadams

Nitto Crosstek Part II

Postby aadadams » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:34 pm

If you've seen my other thread about the chrome caps, I hope you got a chuckle, but those chrome caps facilitated a tire purchase today. As you might have guessed I bought a second set of Nitto Crossteks. I purchased the last set of Crossteks from NTB at 87K (3+ years ago), when I went to NTB I was thinking of trying the Discoverers not that I had an issue with the Crossteks per se... Just thinking of trying something else. But, after realizing that I put 83K+ miles on the Crossteks, I simply couldn't bring myself to buy anything else. When I bought the originals they were buy two get two free... Not so lucky in 2014... But , they were offering a buy 3 get 1 free on the 265/70/17, so I got that over the stock size (wasn't part of the sale) to save a few bucks. I was really happy with my tires and really probably should have replaced them about 5/10K ago... Even so, they wore evenly and served me really well in snow, wet and dry... Very quiet with an aggressive enough thread pattern for me... I am highly recommending this tire to anyone that asks... That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:22 pm

good on ya for sticking with what works. I find myself really easily swayed when it comes to tire purchases. Mostly because I'm cheap... :) Fortunately, its usually worked out for me, as I haven't absolutely hated the tires I've had. But they aren't always necessarily the best tire for my needs. On the Pathy I've gone from Cooper Discoverer ATs to Bridgestone Dueller REV02s, to a smaller size of REV02s, to some used BFG T/A KOs. We've put on about 160000km (100k miles) in that time period. Time flies when you're having fun!

I recently switched to Cooper Discoverer ATWs after deliberating over General Grabber AT2s, BFG T/A KOs, and Goodyear Duratracs. After all is said and done, I think I've satisfied the cheapness factor, along with getting a pretty versatile and suitable tire with a decent treadwear rating and good winter characteristics. We shall see...

Best of luck!

t

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:59 pm

My friend, Paul, who owns a repair shop, swears by the Crossteks. I almost got them, but just didn't like the way they looked on the Pathfinder. I got the Nitto Dura Grapplers to replace my Michelin LTX M/S2's, mainly because of the price. I don't do much off-road, mostly paved highways and country roads and an occasional gravel or dirt roads. On the whole, I'm happy with the tires. They are wearing well, are quiet and do well on wet roads. My only complaint is that they ride hard, a lot harsher than the Michelin's. I'll probably go back to the Michelin's next time. They have great treadwear, are quiet, very good on wet roads, ice and snow, and offer a more comfortable ride than the Nittos. Nittos are made by Toyo tire, which is a very good brand on its own.

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:35 am

smj999smj wrote:My friend, Paul, who owns a repair shop, swears by the Crossteks. I almost got them, but just didn't like the way they looked on the Pathfinder. I got the Nitto Dura Grapplers to replace my Michelin LTX M/S2's, mainly because of the price. I don't do much off-road, mostly paved highways and country roads and an occasional gravel or dirt roads. On the whole, I'm happy with the tires. They are wearing well, are quiet and do well on wet roads. My only complaint is that they ride hard, a lot harsher than the Michelin's. I'll probably go back to the Michelin's next time. They have great treadwear, are quiet, very good on wet roads, ice and snow, and offer a more comfortable ride than the Nittos. Nittos are made by Toyo tire, which is a very good brand on its own.
At what psi do you run your Grapplers? Curious about whether I'm running mine at the right pressure. The whole L/T vs. Passenger thing has me thoroughly confused and your statement about harsh ride got me thinking... I ran my last Crossteks at 36... Some have said that L/Ts are better at 40-44 psi.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:24 am

I set them at the factory spec: 35 PSI cold. My Dura Grapplers are a "P" series, not an "LT" series.

aadadams

Postby aadadams » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:00 am

smj999smj wrote:I set them at the factory spec: 35 PSI cold. My Dura Grapplers are a "P" series, not an "LT" series.
It appears that my Crossteks are Passenger tires as well. I only found out in the warranty document as apparently the L/Ts do not have mileage warranty. With that said, I'll maintain the status quo...

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”