White exhaust smoke with strong burnt odour

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

BlockLike

White exhaust smoke with strong burnt odour

Postby BlockLike » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:45 am

Hi all,

I bought a 2006 2.5 diesel sport auto about 6 months ago and looking to find any advice on a recent problem I encountered.

Hopefully the sequence of events might point to an area to look at.

Ok, so on wednesday last week I heard a noticeable whine coming from the engine when accelerating up hill. It was best described as something whirring at high revs. I thought it might have been the alternator belt, as that had started squeaking at a cold start, but didn't sound quite like a belt noise.

The car was already booked in for its service the following morning and they found the alternator belt was well worn. I mentioned the whine to them, they took it out for a spin and initially suspected the turbo.

They also noticed the oil was filled well over the max limit, which they said could potentially have been the cause.

Once the service was finished and oil levels were in check with a clean bill of health, the whine stopped.

However, I then encountered a new problem on the saturday. I drove for approx 20 mins then parked with the engine idle. After about 10 seconds of being parked I noticed a burnt smell, then realised white smoke was spewing out of the exhaust. Stepped out of the car and the burnt smell was very strong.

Shut the engine off for about 20 seconds and started it back up again. The white smoke and smell stopped and I haven't seen it since.

I am not that clued up on engines and it's the first time encountering something like this.

Q1. is the fact this happened once and went away just something to look out for in case it comes back?

Q2. do the symptoms suggest it needs looking at immediately?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”