Front plate bracket removal

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

bmramon

Front plate bracket removal

Postby bmramon » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:07 pm

Is the only way to remove the front plate bracket, removing the front bumper?

I tried unbolting those two bolts but they just spin and don't loosen up.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Front plate bracket removal

Postby eieio » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:51 am

bmramon wrote:Is the only way to remove the front plate bracket, removing the front bumper?

I tried unbolting those two bolts but they just spin and don't loosen up.
the threads in your plastic bumper may be stripped
try clamping vise grip pliers onto the head of the screw, and pull on it as you turn it

bmramon

Postby bmramon » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:43 pm

Just wanted to report back that it did indeed have a nut inside the front bumper on my 2005. So maybe they didn't in the later years, but I definitely had to remove my bumper in order to remove the front license plate.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:20 pm

bmramon wrote:Just wanted to report back that it did indeed have a nut inside the front bumper on my 2005. So maybe they didn't in the later years, but I definitely had to remove my bumper in order to remove the front license plate.
that's odd, because both of my R51s (both '05s, bought new) had two self-threading screws holding the bracket to the front bumper - no nuts at all
I used the old screws to plug the holes in the bumper cover, as we don't have front license plates here in AZ

bmramon

Postby bmramon » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:32 pm

Odd indeed. Maybe it was a Canada-spec thing?

The holes on the bumper are much bigger than the bolts of the license plate bracket, and there were two plastic nuts in the back, securing it against the bumper.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”