Ease of fishtailing in a '98 Pathy vs. a 2010 or so model

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

NP76

Ease of fishtailing in a '98 Pathy vs. a 2010 or so model

Postby NP76 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:21 pm

Hey everyone, I'm in the market for an SUV and am contemplating pulling the trigger on a 2010 or so Pathfinder. I had a 1998 Pathfinder SE(4wd) for a number of years in the mid 2000's, and loved it, but due to a really long commute and higher gas prices sold it on a number of years ago. Now my commute is about 2.5 miles, as well as the fact we have 3 kids, so I am looking at one again. It wouldn't be the family hauler except for camping, etc., as we also have a mini-van.

One thing I absolutely hated about the 1998 was the horrendous and somewhat scary at times fishtailing that could occur during even mild acceleration in the snow(2wd at times), or perhaps a metal section of a wet bridge. I believe this type of behavior is long gone, probably in the revision starting in 2000 or so, but haven't been able to find much on the site about this. Hey...at least no one is complaining about it, right? 8)

I currently have a 2010 Outback, and have been eyeing/test driving the 2006-2009 4runner Limited with the third row of seating, but they are hard to find a a fair bit more. The Pathfinder is more fun to drive, but I haven't put the hammer down to make it lose the back end on a test drive...anyone have $0.02 they can offer up on this on wet conditions where you wouldn't have 4wd engaged, or maybe the mixed snow/ice and pavement surfaces?

Grazie! 8)

This site is great, especially in regard to information on the bypass, and other possible issues.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:45 pm

I've never had my 06 Pathy LE fishtail on me in the 3 years I've had it. It's really a different vehicle compared to the R50 series. We're talking body-on-frame versus unibody chassis, different rear suspension and different traction control system and drivetrain. The electronic limited-slip used in the R51 combined with traction control system works very well in most cases. The "AUTO" mode trans would work great if you see a lot of wet roads, but is only available in the LE trim. I think you'll find the ride a whole lot better than the R50 series, although the R51 does get a little "unsettled" over bumpy roads. Adding Airlift 1000 air bags in the rear and a set of Bilstein HD rear shocks make a big difference. If you are looking at a model pre-2011, make sure the radiator has been replaced or bypassed, even though 2010 model radiator cooler failures aren't nearly as common as 05-07 models. Better to be safe than sorry!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:10 pm

It's pretty hard to break this thing loose due to the traction and stability control. Not only does it control spinning of the tires but it can cut power and apply brakes if it feels you're losing control. I drive on gravel a lot and mashing the pedal on a sharp turn just makes it cut the power and you won't slide. No fun at all :wink:

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:20 pm

skinny2 wrote:It's pretty hard to break this thing loose due to the traction and stability control. Not only does it control spinning of the tires but it can cut power and apply brakes if it feels you're losing control. I drive on gravel a lot and mashing the pedal on a sharp turn just makes it cut the power and you won't slide. No fun at all :wink:
VDC OFF is the first thing I push when I hit the dirt. No fishtailing here either, as all of the on board electronics are really good at keeping everything in line.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:48 pm

We had a fair amount of ice on our roads here in town the other day and when I pulled out onto the main road I was a bit to aggressive with the go pedal and my Pathy started to spin and side step out and wham! The electronics kicked in and cut power and the rear of the truck just came right back in line. I was impressed esp givin the fact that the town plow/sander truck was in the other lane and there is no question that if the back end came around I would have had a big plow blade cut me up!

Barjrob1972

Postby Barjrob1972 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:21 pm

I have a 2012 Silver 4WD and have never had a problem with the rear end breaking loose, even with the stock tires that are somewhat thin. I was actually going to buy another Rubicon (it would have been my 5th Jeep) but switched to the Pathfinder due to the third row that it had so I could use it with the three grandkids. My wife almost bought me a 2013 4-runner with the third row but I found it to be less comfortable and the jump seat is basically useless, even too tight for a 5,6 and/or a 10 year old. I actually traded my aging 2007 Expedition EL on my current Pathfinder and although getting accustomed to the reduced size was a bit of a challenge at first, I find the Pathfinder to my much more manageable when I have to load up the family over what the 4-Runner could have provided.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”