Vibration from 50mph onwards

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Jamessal

Vibration from 50mph onwards

Postby Jamessal » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:26 am

Hi
This is my first post and it seems that I have found a fantastic resource dedicated to the Pathfinder. I have a 2007 Aventura with 90,000 miles which recently had the UJ's (Toyo ones) replaced by a local garage. Annoyingly it had a vibration after this work and he has since found that there was movement within the clips on the rear UJ, he then suggested putting a weld to stop this movement - which I stupidly agreed to! Could the Prop shaft be out of balance if he has replaced it incorrectly?
The vibration is still there and I wanted advice on changing the Prop shaft for a 2nd hand one. Is this wise and how do ensure it is balanced once fitted? Nissan have recommended a new one, but the cost is far too high.
They also said that there is play in the front prop shaft, but the onset of the vibration came after the UJ's were changed in the rear shaft, so I feel that this is the culprit. Am I right to think like this? I have had the tracking done and wheels balanced.
Thanks for any advice as the noise from the vibration is driving me mad!!

James

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:52 pm

My concern is that he said there was movement of the new joints "between the clips." This would lead me to think that he either had the wrong U-joint or the yoke was worn, most likely the former. He should have never welded it. If he supplied the parts, then he should make good to correct the situation at his cost. The shafts are balanced pre-assembly from the factory. Only way I know to check them for balance is to take them to a driveshaft shop and have them check the balance, or balance as needed.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”