Transfer case fluid

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

psinsyd

Transfer case fluid

Postby psinsyd » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:01 pm

Hey all,

Wanted to confirm with the experts here before I do the swap myself.

Little condensed background on the story: Took the '09 Pathy SE in to the dealer for driveline fluid changes. Notice after the service I have drops on the driveway. Brought in to a closer dealer and they said there was just some oil on one of the skid plates and that they checked all the fill/drain plugs, and everything checked out.

Noticed more drops on the drive so I crawled under myself, only to find the fill plug on the transfer case was very loose.

My question is, the fluid seemed more clear or a regular gear oil color rather than the red trans fluid color.

This takes the red trans fluid, correct? Also, has anyone used the Castrol trans fluid which says it meets specs for the Nissan trans-D fluid?

How many quarts are required for the transfer case?

Thanks all. This is my first Nissan, and I'm hoping this isn't the level of service Nissan dealers provide. I may just need to find a reliable independent shop.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:22 am

The transfer case does take transmission fluid; Nissan type "D" or Dexron III/Mercon or almost any synthetic will work just fine. I believe the standard transfer case only takes 2 or 3 quarts, unlike the LE's AUTO-mode with takes a lot more. Castrol Multi-import ATF is the same thing as Nissan Type "J," so it will work fine in place of Type "D" in the transfer case and can also be used for the Nissan 5-speed automatic transmission used in the R51, among other Nissans.

psinsyd

Postby psinsyd » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:07 am

smj999smj wrote:The transfer case does take transmission fluid; Nissan type "D" or Dexron III/Mercon or almost any synthetic will work just fine. I believe the standard transfer case only takes 2 or 3 quarts, unlike the LE's AUTO-mode with takes a lot more. Castrol Multi-import ATF is the same thing as Nissan Type "J," so it will work fine in place of Type "D" in the transfer case and can also be used for the Nissan 5-speed automatic transmission used in the R51, among other Nissans.
Awesome, thanks so much, man. Already learned a ton just by your posts alone, let alone the entire forum!

Thanks again!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”