Oil Pressure then Timing Issue

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

bmramon

Oil Pressure then Timing Issue

Postby bmramon » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:42 pm

Hi All, I need your help and would appreciate ANY insight.

Bought my 2005 PF LE with a bad oil pressure sensor (stuck on high) - replaced sensor, and this uncovered a low oil pressure issue.

Installed mechanical gauge, registered 3-4 PSI at hot idle, barely 20 psi at 2500-3000 rpm.

No check engine light or any trouble codes, just oil light on at idle.

Researched issue and people say common on these engines, inner timing chain gasket tends to break apart, causing internal leak.

Friend of mine works at Lexus as a mechanic, I asked him to take my accessories and timing apart to repair the gasket. He chatted with Nissan techs and was given new plastic bits for the timing as well as a replacement make-your-own gasket.

He took everything apart, market the sprocket tooths, etc... took the inner cover out, and it was for sure leaking, very visible broken gasket.

He made a new gasket, put the car all back together, did an oil flush, installed Nissan factory oil filter and 5w30 synthetic oil.

Oil pressure is now 9 psi at hot idle, and around 25 psi at 2000 rpm, around 35 psi at 3000 rpm. Not spec, but much better.

Oil light doesn't come on at idle anymore, but gauge shows RIGHT at the bottom of safe zone. If I move steering and cause idle to drop to 600-620 rpm then the oil light comes on.

HOWEVER, new problem manifested itself now - P0011 trouble code.
"A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)

He checked the cam solenoids and both are opening and closing correctly.

His friend at Nissan plugged in Consult and could see timing advanced (+13 / +15) but not retarding.

Other than taking the entire engine apart again, my friend is lost.

Any insight?

AND, is it safe to drive as is? I have a winter trip with family tomorrow and I'll need to use the car as is.

Thoughts?

Much appreciated!!!
Last edited by bmramon on Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmramon

Postby bmramon » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:48 pm

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:23 pm

I believe in the use of the oil additive called “MotorKote”, available at WalMart, AutoZone, truck stops, etc. It would sure help to keep wear at a minimum in a situation like yours. It does not thicken the oil, just protect the metal.

The service manual states a warmed up engine should register 14 at idle, 43 at 2K RPM

bmramon

Postby bmramon » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:26 pm

Safe to use this additive with synthetic oil?

Also, any clue as to what my P0011 issue could be caused by? Could it be just an error in installing the chains back up?

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:35 pm

[quote="bmramon"]Safe to use this additive with synthetic oil?
quote]
No problem. I do. I feel it is one of the best friction fighters around.

I am not a car tech. I'm sure someone soon will give some info.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”