Slight bumping at cruising speeds on 08

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

busted

Slight bumping at cruising speeds on 08

Postby busted » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:12 pm

A few days ago, I noticed a ever so slightly bump or shudder while at cruising speeds. Usually between 45-75 mph. It has happened on level ground or a slight incline and doesn't always do it. If I give it more fuel or get off the fuel it will stop. Looking at the RPM gauge it stays steady, so I'm a little stumped. The radiator is brand new and I check the coolant about once every 3 days to make sure its still good and green. I suppose this could be a fuel issue or a U-joint, but it doesn't really feel like that. Any one have any ideas or takes on this?

Thanks

azaizai

Postby azaizai » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:07 am

I think its pretty common for a smallish shudder at the 45mph range.

My vehicle does it and the engine is usually at about 1500-1600 rpms I think. Its just a resonance thing with the engine lugging and Nissan's transmission control trying to keep the rpms low despite needing to consider a lower gear. I dont think its anything bad,

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:03 am

I'd start with u-joints, both rear and front (if 4wd).

busted

Postby busted » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:21 pm

I will check the U-joints.. when I get some time. I can see what you might be talking about azaizai. The shudder is not very noticeable and since I've been driving it more I rarely notice it. Thank you both for the advise!
Looks like I'm going to have to down it anyway because that creaking and popping coming from the front end is getting worse. I'm quite disappointed and actually regret buying it now. The engineers used cheap parts on some of this vehicle, but for the most part it seems built/designed pretty well. I only wish the previous owner would have paid more attention to the dealer bulletins and recalls for this model. Then perhaps I wouldn't have such a headache with it. Not sure what's popping in the front end, I'll start with the upper/Lower ball joints after I rule out the shocks/struts and go from there. :?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:03 pm

For what it's worth, I would recommend you replace the entire control arm rather than just the ball joint. For about $30 more than the cost of a good, name brand, ball joint purchased online, you can get a brand new control arm with a lifetime warranty that includes a new ball joint and new control arm bushings. You can get Dorman's at Rockauto.com for a descent price.

busted

Postby busted » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:42 pm

smj999smj wrote:For what it's worth, I would recommend you replace the entire control arm rather than just the ball joint. For about $30 more than the cost of a good, name brand, ball joint purchased online, you can get a brand new control arm with a lifetime warranty that includes a new ball joint and new control arm bushings. You can get Dorman's at Rockauto.com for a descent price.
Sounds good to me! I am not acquainted with Rock Auto, would these new parts come with grease fittings? :D

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:07 pm

Looking at the pictures, the Dormans don't have grease fittings. They also sell Mevotech control arms; the "supreme" series does have grease fittings and a lifetime warranty, but they are also $10-12 more expensive per control arm.
If you make a purchase from them, use discount code "58706B0C3F9D33" in the "How did you here about us?" box at the checkout section and it'll take 5% off of the parts. This is good through 01/15/15. After that date, just Google "Rockauto discount codes" and you can find another code for 5%.

I've used Rockauto.com for several years. They have great prices, selection and service. If you have a part that needs to be returned or exchanged for warranty, you can look up the invoice in your account by doing a part number search or just e-mail their customer support. There are only two things you need to watch out for with them. Their "wholesale clearance" items have great prices, but can be new old stock. That may not be a big issue if you are buying a coil spring or an exhaust pipe, but could be if it's something with seals, such as a shock absorber or strut. The other thing to watch out for is shipping prices when ordering multiple items as they may ship from different warehouses. They do have tools to let you know what ships from the same warehouse as you add items to your cart, though. Also, sometimes a cheaper part may be more expensive than another part depending on where the shipping locations are for those parts. Otherwise, they are a great place to purchase parts and I've done a lot of business with them!

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”