Water pump?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

ShipFixer

Water pump?

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:34 pm

So after the motor mounts I still have something rattling in the front of my engine. I'm fairly sure it's the water pump...it's a constant rattle right around the front of the engine block especially at idle. How much of a PITA is it to change this out?

I read the DIY on clubfrontier and it doesn't look that bad. Just wondering if there's real risk of slipping the cam chain out of alignment or anything when you take the chain tensioner out.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:39 pm

While I'm on it, a replacement pump and thermostat from O'Reilly's is much cheaper than Nissan...anyone use them? :-D

ShipFixer

Steering pump replacement?

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:55 pm

Okay looked closely again with my auto stethoscope and I think its more likely the steering pump soooooo....

Anyone replace that?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:00 pm

What's the fluid level and condition?

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:46 pm

Fluid level is correct but the pump has always been oily (leaking somewhere) and it's the one fluid I haven't touched in forever. Never had a steering problem but that doesn't mean the pump doesn't have issues.

I saw comments on clubfrontier where people had drained it, cleaned an inline filter or trap, and noises went away so I could try that. But otherwise the pump is only $60-70 online so if I had to it can't be that bad aside from the PITA of getting to it.

The rattle appears to be something on or around the belt I've just never been able to figure out exactly what. Other trucks don't make the noise. The whole front of the engine was a little shaky with the old motor mounts and there were pipes and whatnot shaking with the knocking noise so I couldn't isolate it. With the PRG mounts the engine is better but this one noise is still bad.

I still need to check the alternator with my stethoscope (hard to get to from the top and I park against a wall on the right in my garage) but the steering pump is the loudest thing that sounds like the rattling/knocking noise.

Louder than the water pump cover, cylinder head, air box, etc...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:02 pm

One way to determine if it's a serpentine belt driven accessory (alternator, fan pulley, P/S pump, etc.) or the water pump is to remove the serpentine belt and start the engine. If the noise goes away, you'll know it's not the water pump and something driven by the belt. Water pump failures are very rare in general on VQ engines. I have seen a few bad fan pulley bearings.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:28 pm

Have you seen any steering pump failures?

I've been meaning to take the belt off but haven't gotten around to it. It's something, I've just been lazy about it for like four years... :-D

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:03 am

I haven't seen or heard of any P/S pump failures of R51's yet, only alignment issues causing the belt to make noise.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:50 pm

Would that include rattling noises or just squeaky belt noises?

I've changed my tensioner twice over the last couple years with the upgraded part because it appeared to be the tensioner, but of course the tensioner will just vibrate with whatever is shaking on the path.

The steering pump is moving the most and the sound seems to be mostly coming from it, but none of the pulleys are loose or have play in them or anything obvious.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:49 pm

The alignment issue would only cause a squeek; in fact, it was mentioned in the same bulletin with the updated tensioner and belt as far as how to check and correct the alignment, if necessary.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:05 pm

Something new to isolate it to the pump. Never really took note before, but the rattling mostly stops when the wheel is at full right or left lock.

I'll try changing the oil in it tomorrow but I'm not really hopeful that alone will fix it...

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:10 pm

Could this be it?

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-p ... fluid.html

My truck does love a good power steering fluid leak...

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:59 pm

Changed the fluid this evening a couple times over to flush it out and that didn't fix it. The existing fluid was reddish clear (Nissan ATF) and appears in good condition, only a small amount of sediment on the reservoir filter.

Didn't see any obvious leaks in lines, so I guess I'm headed down the replacement steering pump path...

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”