Dry gas?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

Dry gas?

Postby Kestral » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:46 pm

It's been quite cold here in the northeastern US not as cold as some of you but well below zero none the less. My father convinced me to put some dry gas (Isopropyl alcohol) in the fuel tank of my Pathy to keep any moisture in the tank from freezing solid. I guess he had this happen some years ago and it was not fun. I added one bottle to the fuel tank don't recall how many ounces but it was like the size of a bottle of fuel injection cleaner. Is isopropyl alcohol bad for my V6 in my pathfinder? Do any of you here use it?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Dry gas?

Postby eieio » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:44 pm

Kestral wrote:It's been quite cold here in the northeastern US not as cold as some of you but well below zero none the less. My father convinced me to put some dry gas (Isopropyl alcohol) in the fuel tank of my Pathy to keep any moisture in the tank from freezing solid. I guess he had this happen some years ago and it was not fun. I added one bottle to the fuel tank don't recall how many ounces but it was like the size of a bottle of fuel injection cleaner. Is isopropyl alcohol bad for my V6 in my pathfinder? Do any of you here use it?
I've heard of it, but never used it.
I'd want to be sure it wouldn't do any harm to the catalytic converters.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:20 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. But I also wouldn't bother unless you think you got bad gas somewhere.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:33 pm

It's not going to hurt anything.

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:44 pm

Your Dad is recalling the days of pure gas, NO ethanol blends at the time. Some brands advertised “No fuel line freeze up”, should moisture get into the tank. Today it is hard to find E0, most are blended with ethanol, called E10. Since ethanol will mix with water or gas, fuel line freeze up is now a thing of the past. Also the tanks are sealed.

No harm other than the percent of “alcohol” was increased a bit. Alcohol/ethanol affects MPG… makes it worse. Was able to get a tank of E0 a yr ago and got 10-12% better MPG. Logically explain to me how ethanol reduces crude imports.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:49 pm

disallow wrote:I wouldn't worry about it. But I also wouldn't bother unless you think you got bad gas somewhere.
.......McDonalds :oops:

Barjrob1972

Postby Barjrob1972 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:28 am

It won't hurt anything putting IPA in you gas. It just helps with moisture, if you are having that problem.
Funny story from a stupid move on my part. I had an '86 Cherokee Chief in which I beat the crud out of. I got it stuck in a pond when mudding and it had to sit for two days before I could recover it. The fuel cap was submerged and apparently not water tight since it went in with 1/2 a tank and came out with 3/4. Since it was a beater anyway, I just added about 5 bottles of 91% IPA and although it ran rough, I was able to run out the fuel/water mix without having to drain the tank. I just changed the filter afterwards and kept on driving it. It was a total POS but it just kept running. I wouldn't dare do that with today's more modern engines.
I miss Ol' Crappy sometimes. That's the only vehicle I've ever had that, I swear, hated my wife as it would break down on her almost every time she drove it. The feeling between those two was mutual.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”