Steering pump replacement?

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

ShipFixer

Steering pump replacement?

Postby ShipFixer » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:07 pm

Starting a new thread over here since I'm 99% sure it's not my water pump anymore :-D

Steering pump is rattling/vibrating at engine idle, except when wheels are at right or left lock. Replaced the fluid a couple times tonight and checked the filter (fluid was in good condition and only minor sediment on the filter screen) and that didn't make the noise go away.

Anyone have similar issues? Or replace a steering pump on their own?

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:24 pm

Tried the air bleed procedure in the manual, no change. And the oil on the assembly is coming from the reservoir cap leaking rather than a hose, so it's not a leaking hose allowing air in or something.

Guess I'm looking at a new pump, running out of ideas...

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:25 pm

Local Nissan shop looked at it for me and verified it's the pump. Doesn't look too difficult to replace...

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:18 pm

Not the pump itself after all...the bolt it pivots on in the engine block is stripped/bad. It's now spinning freely without coming out of the block and pump at all :evil:

Upside is there's less noise (it's not going anywhere and the belt tension holds it in place) but I'm assuming it'll probably have to be addressed later. No real idea if I can get a time-sert or helicoil in there where it is without removing the radiator...ouch.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:27 pm

ShipFixer wrote:Local Nissan shop looked at it for me and verified it's the pump. Doesn't look too difficult to replace...
so much for the "Local Nissan shop"

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:22 pm

eieio wrote:
ShipFixer wrote:Local Nissan shop looked at it for me and verified it's the pump. Doesn't look too difficult to replace...
so much for the "Local Nissan shop"
Well...to be fair we verified that's where the noise is coming from. They didn't take it apart or anything, they just looked under the hood with me in the service bay.

When it's on the belt you can't really wiggle it, and when I had the belt off before I tried to loosen the pump there wasn't a bunch of play. Not easy to track down.

Like I said, weird thing is now two of three bolts are stripped (one maybe sheared) and it's making less noise than it was before when it was sort of attached properly...

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”