Seeking the ultimate answer

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

lebanesepathy

Seeking the ultimate answer

Postby lebanesepathy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:32 am

So i've read every shox related topic and couldnt find a conclusive answer. What are the best rear shocks to a stock pf ? And what about the fronts ? I'm not planning to install airlift. How can we get a car like ride ?
Note: I dont offroad or tow at all. Just highway and city driving but with alot of speed bumps. [/code]

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:54 pm

The best quality shocks are hands down Bilstein shocks I have used them on many cars and trucks from modded cars to lifted trucks. When my sister bought her 1995 Corvette used we sent the shocks to Bilstein to have them checked and they were within specifications and that was with 98,000 miles on the clock! There quality is unmatched and they will outlast any shock on the market. Now I have not always found them to ride the best in my opinion they ride a bit stiff. Although I think the R51 Pathfinder could use some better control in the rear so it's a plus. When I replace my stockers this summer I'm going with Bilstein.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:22 pm

Nothing you put on it will make it ride like a car. If you want something car-like, get a crossover, like a Murano. That said, the front struts from the factory, which are the same as KYB G2/Excels, are perfectly fine. For the rear, most go with Bilstein HD's and a set of Airlift 1000 air bags, which keep the back end from bottoming out over bumps which is characteristic of the R51. Tires also make a big difference in ride. The Michelin LTX M/S2 is a great tire for an R51 that sees a lot of paved roads! It rides well, good in all kinds of weather (within reason) and long treadlife...but pricey.

lebanesepathy

Postby lebanesepathy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:42 am

I know it would ride like a car, but some suv's like the toyota sequoia rides perfectly fine. Thanks for the advice.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:59 pm

Well, for $65k, it should ride like a car! It's kind of unfair comparing it to a Pathfinder that's half the price. Sequoia's are as big as a barge and aren't very good off-road.

lebanesepathy

Postby lebanesepathy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:45 pm

smj999smj wrote:Well, for $65k, it should ride like a car! It's kind of unfair comparing it to a Pathfinder that's half the price. Sequoia's are as big as a barge and aren't very good off-road.
I guess you are right

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”