Just bought a 2008 pathfinder le with the 4.0 V6

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

pitbull60077

Just bought a 2008 pathfinder le with the 4.0 V6

Postby pitbull60077 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:25 am

I just bought a 2008 nissan pathfinder LE with the 4.0 V6. bought the extended warranty and maintenance plan from nissan for it as well.it only has 40,000 miles on it. wondering if I should get my dealer to replace the radiator in it now before it has the trans cooler/radiator issue or not. truck is perfect though now

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:33 am

If you could get the dealer to replace the radiator without actual symptoms of failure you must let me know how. I bet they will not do anything unless there's an actual problem.

pitbull60077

Postby pitbull60077 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:36 am

I am sure they will not replace it under any type of warranty unless there is a problem, but I dont think they have a choice if i request them to replace it and pay for the work

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:36 am

pitbull60077 wrote:I am sure they will not replace it under any type of warranty unless there is a problem, but I dont think they have a choice if i request them to replace it and pay for the work
they have a choice - they can refuse service to anyone they want
that said, I'm quite sure they will be happy to take close to twice the amount of dollars that an independent shop will charge you
Last edited by eieio on Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:19 am

You have a few options. The one is that you could wait until the warranty expires and then at that point, if it hasn't failed, replace it as preventative maintenance or do the "bypass method."

You could do the "bypass method" now and not have to worry about it.

Or, you could replace the radiator now as preventative maintenance at your cost and not have to worry about it.

I wouldn't pay out of pocket to have Nissan replace it. They'll charge you 3-hours labor, $550 for the radiator, plus coolant, hazardous materials fees, etc. By the time you're done, you could be close to $1000! An aftermarket radiator runs from $72 to $130 online, or you can wait a month a get an all-aluminum radiator from Stillen for $350. Any reputable independent shop is fully capable of replacing the radiator.

Bandy1080

Postby Bandy1080 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:03 pm

They will absolutely replace it even if there is nothing wrong.

I had my 2008 LE in for service and was chatting with the tech. And we were talking about the radiator issue and how it is pretty rare in 2008's but that he has seen a couple.

Next thing I know he is telling me that they will replace the radiator under my current extended warranty.

I mean if you think about it, it is money in the service department's pocket because they are being reimbursed from Nissan for the repair. And it gives me peace of mind because now I don't have to worry about anything.

You probably just need to find the right repair tech and just be honest about it with him/her. It can't hurt to ask right?

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:45 pm

I agree totally it is $$ in there pocket to do the work so why not. The guy next door to me has a Subaru WRX with some light mods and last year he spun a bearing so he went to the local dealer and they looked at the aftermarket air intake and said NO WAY! They refused to cover it. He went to another dealer some miles away and they were great about it sure bring her right in no problem. So he talked to service manager and he said why not fix it it's money in our pocket.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:50 am

Bandy1080 wrote:They will absolutely replace it even if there is nothing wrong.

I had my 2008 LE in for service and was chatting with the tech. And we were talking about the radiator issue and how it is pretty rare in 2008's but that he has seen a couple.

Next thing I know he is telling me that they will replace the radiator under my current extended warranty.

I mean if you think about it, it is money in the service department's pocket because they are being reimbursed from Nissan for the repair. And it gives me peace of mind because now I don't have to worry about anything.

You probably just need to find the right repair tech and just be honest about it with him/her. It can't hurt to ask right?
Where are you located and what dealer did you use? I have an 08 that's a CPO and the warranty is up later this year but would love to have the radiator replaced by Nissan. Once the warranty is up, I'll be doing the bypass.

Bandy1080

Postby Bandy1080 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:18 am

I am out in Massachusetts.

I would seriously just go to the dealer and talk to them. I have found that generally they are very nice about it. What do you have to lose? I did it and gained a brand new radiator.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:57 pm

Bandy1080 wrote:I am out in Massachusetts.

I would seriously just go to the dealer and talk to them. I have found that generally they are very nice about it. What do you have to lose? I did it and gained a brand new radiator.
I'll probably do that. Like you said, what do I have to lose?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”