Suspension Upgrades

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

604Allstar

Suspension Upgrades

Postby 604Allstar » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:04 am

Hi,

The dreaded "death wobble" has finally showed up on my 2001 QX4 so I thought I would take this opportunity to upgrades some of the other suspension parts at the same time as there is 237km on it.

I work in sales and this is my daily driver but I do go hunting take the QX4 on unmaintained mountain logging roads that can get pretty adventures. Currently the front end noise dives pretty badly with a little tap of the brake and the vehicle bottoms out pretty easily especially when I have it loaded up with hunting gear. Since the vehicle is my daily driver I don't want to go too aggressive with anything so I was wondering what people thought of the setup below.

-Front Struts
KYB GR-2/Excel G

-Rear Shocks
Bilstein 5100

-Front Springs
OME HD Springs

- Rear Springs
OME MD Springs

-OEM strut mounts and bearings

-Upper and Lower Trailing Arm
4x4parts - http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981216-rear ... -arms.html
(Plus new bolts)

- New Bump stops.

I went with HD springs in the front and MD springs in the back to give the truck a level stance but I am concerned about "topping out" the front struts. I don't plan on changing the bumper ever or adding a winch. I do have the OEM grill guard but im guessing that's only 60-75 lbs, so still well below the 110-220lbs recommended rating of the HD springs. Would I be better of getting MD springs all around and then getting a spacer for the front?

what are peoples opinion of AC Springs vs OME?

Please pass along any feedback, Suggestion or anything that I have left out that I should also do.

Cheers

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:18 pm

If you have rear drum breaks, I would recommend you have them adjusted as that could also cause nose-dive while breaking.

604Allstar

Postby 604Allstar » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:20 am

Thanks,

How do you like your Airlift 1000 system?

Cheers

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:33 pm

I like it a lot! I don't do much towing; the main reason I got it was for ride quality, as anyone with an R51 knows that they tend to bottom-out in the rear when going over large bumps. The air bags put an end to that completely and it rides a whole lot better. Best part was is that they are relatively inexpensive and easy to install. I had a discount coupon for a local auto parts store, so they only cost me a little over $50 US. Going to a monotube shock absorber in the rear helped a little, too.

604Allstar

Postby 604Allstar » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:36 pm

Sweet thanks for the feedback.

Since I need new bump stops and they seem to be almost the same price as the airlift kit I think I will go with that. Luckily I live right by the boarder and have a place I can ship these to in the states so it looks like it will be $78 shipped, which isn't bad!

Looks like the OME springs are on back order till nov 24, I guess this project will have to be on stand by for a few week. I guess that means I can take advantage of Black Friday sales.

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:55 pm

I can now confirm, and I do emphasize that you DO NOT want HD springs on the front. Topping out is a serious concern. I went through 2 sets of Ranchos in less than a year. I'm going to Moog MDs in the front with the KYBs and a 1" plastic spacer. Now I love the 2" lift kit in the rear because they came with longer shocks so, there is no topping out concern and, the stock springs are waaay too soft. Unfortunately, there is no longer shock body available for the front unless it's custom made.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”