Fix storage area by the gear shift

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

CristianMTK

Fix storage area by the gear shift

Postby CristianMTK » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:58 pm

I'm giving my brother my 2008 Pathfinder SE with 76,000 miles and getting a 2012 Pathfinder Silver Edition from my local dealer. Everything seems perfect in the car, its only been owned for about a year a 9 months with 53,000 miles. I only have two concerns. The oil and filter was changed on 9/23/14 so should I change the oil or should it be fine? Also the little storage compartment next to the gear shift is pushed under. When i saw test drove the car, i tried lift up the lid but nothing worked, I didn’t mention it to the salesperson because i wasn’t concerned but now I am. Before I actually pick up the car tomorrow should I ask them to fix it or would it be an easy fix to do it myself? If so how? I do know that the part costs about $70 off Nissan's part store.
Last edited by CristianMTK on Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:25 pm

is the little cover broken? the housing around it? both? neither?
can't tell from your pictures.........
like anything else, the repair depends on what failed or broke

CristianMTK

Postby CristianMTK » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:26 pm

Its the whole compartment, it like sunk in

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:24 pm

I would have them fix the compartment door. The pivot pins are probably broken and the spring/catch mechanism is usually not a repair type of thing. It's sloppy for the dealership to let the car go with such an obvious item being broken.

As or the oil change, it's a no-brainer: if in doubt, change it. An oil change is cheap. Personally, again, I think it's sloppy for a dealership to not give every car on their lot a fresh oil change.

I bought mine from Carmax and they guarantee that the car was as close to perfect as reasonable, including factory floor mats and an owner's manual (my pet peeves and a sign of a sloppy dealership). They gave me 90 days to make a list of everything they may have missed. I'm nitpicky and had them fix 25 things. That's how I think all used car dealerships should operate.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:03 am

I would have them fix it before you buy it because you'd be surprised how much some of those small plastic console pieces can cost. Especially if you have to purchase an entire assembly rather than the one piece you need.

If you prefer to take care of things yourself, I would at least reduce the purchase price by the cost of the parts.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”