Radiator question. Have a picture.

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

truomega

Radiator question. Have a picture.

Postby truomega » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:50 am

So when i bought my 06 pathfinder i read that the radiator is faulty in many models and requires the bypass, however, by changing the radiator to a new updated one, that should resolve the problem. Now i have no problem doing the bypass if necessary but if this radiator thats in there now is the new updated one then there would be no need to do it. I have taken a picture of the sticker but when i google the model number it shows up as a condenser. I cant seem to find any other stickers located on the top of the radiator as mentioned in other posts except for this one:

If you guys can let me know if this is the new or old version that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Shilly

Postby Shilly » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:26 pm

That is the sticker that is on the a/c condensor, they usually don't put a part number sticker on the radiator.The safe bet would be to do the bypass anyway and not have to worry about it.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:13 pm

The sticker would be on the top of the radiator tank, on the driver's side of the radiator cap. A Nissan radiator would have a sticker; most of the aftermarket radiators have no sticker them. The original Nissan sticker could have fallen off, of course, but I would expect to see a sign of where it was on the top of the tank, if that was the case.

truomega

Postby truomega » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:19 pm

Well.. theres a spot where it looks like a sticker is supposed to go but no luck.

Im gonna go ahead and do the bypass just to be on the safe side. I am also going to mount a fan on the transmission cooler and a thermal switch which will connect to the inlet port of the cooler that will shoot 12 volts to the fan when the temps reach ~180 degrees (will cut power when temps reach ~165 degrees). I know its not necessary as people have mentioned but in the event of an overtemp condition, this fan will help in aiding in cooling the fluid. I should get those items sometime this week and will do the install.
My only question on the install would be... The fan can be set as push or pull. It is going to be mounted on top of the cooler facing the engine so what would be the most efficient? Should the fan force outside air through the cooler (air from outside into engine) or should i set it so that it pulls air away (from engine to outside) from the cooler? Thanks for the info.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:39 pm

I'm 99% sure that's an aftermarket radiator. My OEM rad doesn't have the circles molded into the plastic. Also, the sticker goes to the right of the flat area and there's some numbers etched there on the OEM.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:22 pm

I agree. It looks like an aftermarket radiator. It also has an aftermarket radiator cap. There's really no need to put an electric fan on the cooler. Also, normal operating temperature for the trans fluid should be 175-200 degrees F., so your thermal switch setting, if you go that route, is a bit low. Those that have bypassed and measured their ATF temps have reported in the range of 155-165 degrees F., so it is already operating a bit on the cool side of normal range.

truomega

Postby truomega » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:40 am

Hey guys... Thanks for the heads up. I went ahead and canceled my order for the aftermarket parts. I looked at the radiator but had no reference to the faulty one. I appreciate your help in this issue. I had a feeling it was aftermarket mainly cause of the cap but also, it has a new upper hose put on tightened with a hose clamp. Most manufacturers use the spring clamps but figured maybe that hose went bad and previous owner just replaced that part. In addition, the coolant looks super clean.
I just didn't want to take any chances based on the horror stories iv heard with the transmission fluid mix issue. I feel more confident now based on your postings that its not necessary to do the bypass. Thanks again for the heads up.

khavel

Replacement Air Intake Boots

Postby khavel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:36 pm

truomega wrote:Well.. theres a spot where it looks like a sticker is supposed to go but no luck.

Im gonna go ahead and do the bypass just to be on the safe side. I am also going to mount a fan on the transmission cooler and a thermal switch which will connect to the inlet port of the cooler that will shoot 12 volts to the fan when the temps reach ~180 degrees (will cut power when temps reach ~165 degrees). I know its not necessary as people have mentioned but in the event of an overtemp condition, this fan will help in aiding in cooling the fluid. I should get those items sometime this week and will do the install.
My only question on the install would be... The fan can be set as push or pull. It is going to be mounted on top of the cooler facing the engine so what would be the most efficient? Should the fan force outside air through the cooler (air from outside into engine) or should i set it so that it pulls air away (from engine to outside) from the cooler? Thanks for the info.
Does anyone know where I can buy the two rubber boots from the air intake system in this pic at??!! Most online parts places don't have these boots, both of mine have cracks and its bugging me!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:57 pm

If you want the rubber intake boots, you have to purchase the whole air duct assy., Nissan P/N: 16576-EA200. MSRP is about $60 and online about $45+shipping.

khavel

Postby khavel » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:47 pm

Thanks smj. After I wr this I saw another post where someone else had the exact same question

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”