Rear hatch creaking

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

DanJetta

Rear hatch creaking

Postby DanJetta » Fri May 15, 2015 6:44 pm

Anyone with an '08+ (the 4-ton rear hatch) ever have any issues with creaking when the body flexes (like when you slowly drive over an embankment or a curb or an overweight Baltimore rioter)? The latch mechanism is nice and tight and the seals are in great shape. It sounds sort of like a pirate ship. Without Jonny Depp's annoying voice, of course. Thoughts?

Jbreland

Postby Jbreland » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:28 am

I hope you figure it out. My 2012 does it too. If I find an answer I'll be sure to share

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:07 pm

I haven't had a chance to play with this yet but I think the culprit is worn bump stops. The creaking is coming from the tail gate metal rubbing on the metal body. One weekend I'm going to replace those rubber stops and see if that helps.

leadpig

Postby leadpig » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:17 am

DanJetta wrote:I haven't had a chance to play with this yet but I think the culprit is worn bump stops. The creaking is coming from the tail gate metal rubbing on the metal body. One weekend I'm going to replace those rubber stops and see if that helps.
That's a good thought. I was thinking the noise I have was from the plastic trim that covers the lower half of the tailgate rubbing on the metal of the tailgate itself. I'll have a look at the stops though. Mine is definitely weather dependent, or at least seasonal, much worse in the summer. Sound like two bits of styrofoam rubbing together.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:33 pm

Update: I just replaced the rear hatch bumpers and the creaking is gone. Part number is 90878-EA510 and there are four. Cheap part and easy replacement.

The hatches with the cinch motors (2008 & 2009) are insanely heavy. I guess a few years of slamming by people who don't know better will turn those things into pancakes.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Rear hatch creaking

Postby eieio » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:45 am

DanJetta wrote:Anyone with an '08+ (the 4-ton rear hatch) ever have any issues with creaking when the body flexes (like when you slowly drive over an embankment or a curb or an overweight Baltimore rioter)? The latch mechanism is nice and tight and the seals are in great shape. It sounds sort of like a pirate ship. Without Jonny Depp's annoying voice, of course. Thoughts?
:lol:

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:54 am

Well, they wouldn't move and I had places to be. :)

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:58 am

DanJetta wrote:Well, they wouldn't move and I had places to be. :)
I hear that!

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”