Should radiator be replaced

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

alxf001

Should radiator be replaced

Postby alxf001 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:30 pm

Hello all:

First time posting, great info here. I'm here for my brother who just picked up a 2005 pathfinder se with 130k miles at a low price ($3k) because it needed smog work. Codes p0430, p1247, p0507 and couple other emissions related I can't remember.

I'm the DIY'r in the family and so far Replaced Drivers side cat conv., a/f sensors, complete intake and exhaust gaskets, plugs, oil and oil filter housing gasket/o-ring, throttle body cleaned, throttle position relearn, air filter, mass sensor clean, and replaced leaking fuel injector O-rings. $1250 later ($800 for cat alone thanks to CA emissions rules), got rid of all emissions codes and passed smog with flying colors. Now sounds quiet and runs strong. Fuel mileage is on par with estimated 15-21 mpg.

My main concern after coming across lots of posts regarding coolant leaking into transmission and causing eventual problems/failure. Should I replace the radiator since I don't have any knowledge of prior service? I also read about a bypass lots have done to reduce/eliminate the possibility of cross contamination from coolant.

Your help and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:19 pm

Welcome alxf001! :)
use the search feature in the header above, and type in "bypass"
the first up is your post
the one beneath it is the quintessential thread on the subject
below are many more applicable topics
there's a ton of good info here
most have bypassed, some have replaced the radiator

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:31 pm

If you search around, you'll find the part numbers for the updated radiators. If it has an old part #, you should either bypass or replace. Personally, I vote for replacing particularly if you're a DIY type because it's not very expensive to get a new radiator in there and have no worries going forward.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:41 pm

If you have the original radiator, there will be a Calsonic sticker on the top tank with a part number. If the part # ends with "-EA215" or "-EA265," I would definitely do something, either bypass or replacement. As mentioned, aftermarket radiators are inexpensive. They can be found on Ebay in the $75 range. Last time I checked Rockauto.com, they had Denso (which is owned by Toyota) radiators for $99+shipping. I've replaced the radiator on my 06 and bypassed my 08 and both are doing fine.

alxf001

Postby alxf001 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:19 pm

Thanks for the quick replies.

I will definitely look closer at the radiator part no. I'm leaning towards an oem quality radiator replacement, and might go ahead and do water pump and thermostat while i'm at it.

What are there advantages/disadvantages to doing the bypass instead of replacement?

Thanks again for your help.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:42 pm

The advantage of doing the bypass is that it is easier to do, much cheaper to do and you completely eliminate any possibility of engine coolant and automatic transmission fluid contamination, regardless of what radiator is installed (we have yet to hear of any cooler failures regarding aftermarket radiators). The disadvantage of bypassing is that you eliminate the radiator's integral cooler from the cooling cycle. Normal driving, this likely won't be an issue, but, if you tow heavy loads, the radiator's integral cooler provides more cooling ability and a liquid-to-liquid cooler is more efficient than an air-to-liquid cooler, such as the auxiliary cooler that is mounted in front of the A/C condenser. The integral cooler also has the ability to warm the ATF, bringing it to normal operating temperature quicker and maintaining it in its ideal temperature range of 170-200 degrees F. The integral cooler may come in handy if you live in an area where there is extremely cold temperatures.
If you are going to replace the water pump, I would recommend you get a new primary timing chain tensioner, as you have to remove it when you replace the water pump (the pump is timing chain driven).

alxf001

Postby alxf001 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:12 pm

Thanks, good information to know and will definitely replace tensioner if i go that route. I got the part number off the radiator, its definitely a Calsonic, the bar code on the sticker at the top of the radiator looks to be:

'Manufatured By CALSONIC - KANSEI NA'

Part No. 21460 ZL11A
Also: F01055A0704001

I have photos of the radiator, but i'm having difficulties figuring out how to upload them. These numbers dont seem to follow the -EA215 or -EA265 that you mentioned. Do I need to look elsewhere for another part number? I did come accross a couple of posts stating that the 21460 ZL11A was an updated version Calsonic radiator, but that it was also updated with yet another Calsonic radiator - 21460-9CA0E.

Does anyone have more clarification on this Calsonic radiator version and whether its at risk for leaking coolant into the trans. fluid?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:57 am

You have a replacement radiator. Nissan never released information as to what part #'s were affected or not prone to the issue. It seems they updated the radiator somewhere in the "-9CA2E" part number range, but there have been a few reports of failures with that #. I haven't heard of any failures, yet, with the "-ZL11A" number.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”