Undercoating

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

Undercoating

Postby Kestral » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:33 am

I was looking under my 2012 Pathy and it looks clean with little to no rust and then I was thinking about picking up several cans of undercoating and coating the frame and some other exposed areas. Do you think this is a wise move or not something I should do? Here in Western MA our roads do get lots of salt in the winter months.

SETI20

Postby SETI20 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:00 am

Not worth it doing it yourself. I have done it twice now on different cars. Unless it's just a wheel well that I need to do, I'm going to pay someone for that mess.

It was all over me. It stinks. And lingers. It dripped on my driveway. It was just an awful mess. Had it done on my CRV and paid a shop 90 bucks to do it.

asgard

Postby asgard » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:16 pm

I would avoid any of these so called rubberized undercoats they can often cause more issues than they solve.
Like my fellow Ontarian I would suggest having it done - if you are not inclined to get dirty. However, if you like the fact that you can do it yourself for less and with better cover - go for it.
I had mine done at a shop first $50 and it did not stick that well.
Last year I was given a application kit , and bought some AD2000, put down painters plastic drop sheet and jacked the truck up, plastic bags over the rotors and sprayed about a half gallon. It was well covered and the box and doors were also fully coated. Well after a full winter it was still there so I declared it a sucess.
Do not apply this on a paved drive, I have gravel and with care and a good aim there is not that much over spray. Painter disposable overalls, gloves, goggles and mask. What is not to like.

Return to “R51 General Chat”