Suspension

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

emt530783

Suspension

Postby emt530783 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:46 pm

So it seems as my suspension is starting to go. My wheel is very unstable when I get a bump on the highway at highspeeds. I currently have a stock ride height with 265/75r16 which I am looking to replace and go larger, maybe 80 or 85. I am also obviously in need of a new suspension.

So a few questions and help needed!

Should I go back with stock suspension and ride height?

If not what suspension is good to increase 1-2 inches. I am very handy and do most the work on my car myself. Can I do this myself? Any links to a thread where it has been done?

Also will any complications come from increasing ride height?

For the tires, I know this is the wrong thread but do we know if increasing the height of my tires will make them rub? If I'm not mistaken I have read in the last that I can go up to 80 and there will be minor rub if I fully crank it to the left/right.

Thanks in advance for the help.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:07 am

If you want to try the simple stuff first, get a good 4-wheel alignment. The "hop" that occurs when hitting bumps at speed is usually due to alignment on these.

dcommoncents

Postby dcommoncents » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:14 pm

Agreed on the alignment. As for the lift, I recommend the setup in my signature for a modest budget 2" suspension lift. The UCAs aren't necessary, but they improve the wheel's droop travel by preventing the UCA from hitting the coilover perch, which becomes more likely after a lift with the stock UCAs. They are also a big help in getting the front aligned properly.

I installed all of my suspension components this spring and am still quite happy with the setup. If you're handy and have jacks, sockets, impact wrench, etc., you'll have no problem installing yourself. The biggest problem I've had is frozen camber bolts that are a PITA to move to get the rear aligned after the lift. Keep in mind that some years don't come from the factory with front camber bolts. From what I've read on here, you should be able to mount 33" tires with little to no rubbing after a 2" lift. I'll be finding out for myself when I get new tires in a month or two.

emt530783

Postby emt530783 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:23 am

dcommoncents wrote:Agreed on the alignment. As for the lift, I recommend the setup in my signature for a modest budget 2" suspension lift. The UCAs aren't necessary, but they improve the wheel's droop travel by preventing the UCA from hitting the coilover perch, which becomes more likely after a lift with the stock UCAs. They are also a big help in getting the front aligned properly.

I all of my suspension components this spring and am still quite happy with the setup. If you're handy and have jacks, sockets, impact wrench, etc., you'll have no problem installing yourself. The biggest problem I've had is frozen camber bolts that are a PITA to move to get the rear aligned after the lift. Keep in mind
Thank you very much for the write up. Let me know which tires you end up with. Hopefully I'll have some new ones by then

dcommoncents

Postby dcommoncents » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:59 am

Well, I won't have advice on 33's for you after all. I ended up going with 265/70/17 Cooper Discoverer RTX's. I was going to go with Cooper discoverer AT-3s in 285/70/17, but would have ended up paying around $500 more. The RTXs are like NTB exclusive versions of the AT-3's. I'm sure they are inferior in some ways, but they come with a 50k warranty, have a pretty nice looking tread with lots of siping, and were only $130 ea. even before a $100 rebate that goes until the end of the month. After two weeks, I'm pretty happy with the RTX's. Will probably get to test them off road a little bit later today.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”