Speaker and airbag problem after water in cabin

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

dcommoncents

Speaker and airbag problem after water in cabin

Postby dcommoncents » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:53 pm

So, following a concert, my fiance left my sunroof open over a rather rainy night. I can't be mad at her though since she was the designated driver and I was in no shape to drive. In any event, the pathy's interior got rather wet. It was parked facing downhill, so everything below the sunroof and forward of it was soaked - for reference the cupholders were totally full of water.

The next day, everything was fine except no sound was coming from any of the speakers (the screen was working and looked normal, just no sound). The next day after that, however, the ignition would not even turn from the "off" position, but behaved as though it were in the last position before starting, as all of the dash lights were on and the battery drained quickly. So, I ripped the front seats and carpet out and dried everything. Since then, the truck has functioned normally, except the front speakers are not putting out any sound and the airbag light is flashing.

I have been unable to find any blown fuses, and know that everything is dry now. I've looked at wiring diagrams from the service manual, but have not found anything that is helpful or comprehensible to me. While I can do most any mechanical work, electronics are a mystery to me, so any ideas or suggestions for where to start figuring this out would be much appreciated.

dcommoncents

Postby dcommoncents » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:53 pm

How about this, does anyone know how the speaker wires are routed such that the front speakers wouldn't work after water exposure focused on the center console and front seats but that also was absorbed by the front carpet? The dash and doors were all dry. The airbag problem makes sense given that an airbag sensor is located right under the cupholders, but I haven't been able to identify any portions of speaker wiring that should have been affected where the water ended up.

Return to “R51 Electrical”