North American R51 Engine conversion options

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

hotwod

North American R51 Engine conversion options

Postby hotwod » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:29 am

Hey guys!

I'm seriously considering an '05+ Pathfinder as my next project. Mainly because of the addition of *THE FRAME!!!* and the interior space, of course. What would make this vehicle almost perfect for my applications, would be the addition of a diesel power plant. What I'm wondering is, would a QD32 - eti be powerful enough for the larger R51? Keep in mind I have a vg33 R50 at the moment with 36" tires. I'm not looking to win any drag races or tractor pulls. But I would like a bit of tire spin in the mud.

NmexMAX

Re: North American R51 Engine conversion options

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:20 am

hotwod wrote:Hey guys!

I'm seriously considering an '05+ Pathfinder as my next project. Mainly because of the addition of *THE FRAME!!!* and the interior space, of course. What would make this vehicle almost perfect for my applications, would be the addition of a diesel power plant. What I'm wondering is, would a QD32 - eti be powerful enough for the larger R51? Keep in mind I have a vg33 R50 at the moment with 36" tires. I'm not looking to win any drag races or tractor pulls. But I would like a bit of tire spin in the mud.
Contrary to your signature ...

Although, Chevy doesn't actually make the powerplant ...

How about a Duramax? :twisted:

This is a Patrol, damn I wish they had Patrols here. But this company specializes in swapping them into Patrols.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFpIXZSBetA

On another note,

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/03/up ... titan.html

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:04 am

why not just put a turbo charger to the original vq40?

hotwod

Postby hotwod » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:09 am

Hahaha yeah the signature says it all. :-)

Is prefer to get something as close to a "bolt in" application as I can. I know throwing the TD32 won't get right in. But it'll be closer then a Cummins or whatnot.

I don't want to just turbocharge the 4L. I want the diesel economy and durability mostly. The torque will mostly be a bonus.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:30 pm

hotwod wrote:Hahaha yeah the signature says it all. :-)

Is prefer to get something as close to a "bolt in" application as I can. I know throwing the TD32 won't get right in. But it'll be closer then a Cummins or whatnot.

I don't want to just turbocharge the 4L. I want the diesel economy and durability mostly. The torque will mostly be a bonus.
The sound itself is worth it.

hotwod

Postby hotwod » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:49 am

So I found a company that will source me a V9X. So that should make the swap THAT much easier. Plus the horse power difference should make turning the wheels much easier. Anyone know of any major issues with that power plant?

radeonDEUS

Postby radeonDEUS » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:15 am

are you going to do the swap? I want to see this badly...

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”