ABS trouble

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

grm3

ABS trouble

Postby grm3 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:14 am

Started having some trouble with ABS on my 2006 SE this morning.

First drive I saw that ABS, VDC off, and SLIP lights were all on, however everything seemed to be working normally. Starting the truck later, the lights were off, but now the ABS kicks in (grinding noise) for no reason when slowing down at low speeds or coming to a stop.
I removed the ABS fuse. The noise has stopped of course, and the brakes seem to work fine. But besides losing the ABS, the speedo and 4WD are gone too. Small sacrifice until I can get it checked out.

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this with the ABS activating for no reason?

Shilly

Postby Shilly » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:19 pm

Sounds like one of your wheel speed sensors is not working causing the abs module to think a wheel is slowing down faster than the rest. Have a shop hook up a scanner and read the abs codes, should tell you which one is acting up.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:42 pm

I agree with above, but keep in mind you may have caused another code to set by removing the fuse. Speedometer gets its input from the ABS speed sensors on these vehicles. Also, ABS issues with cause all of those warning lights to come on as they are all related.

grm3

Postby grm3 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:23 am

After driving the truck this weekend with the ABS fuse pulled, I put the fuse back in yesterday afternoon, so it would be ready to go to the shop sometime this week. After installing the fuse, I went for a short test drive around the neighborhood, and everything seems normal again - no ABS noise.

What are the chances that the "re-set" from pulling the fuse solved this problem? I erased the codes and cleared the check engine light, so we'll see if it holds out.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:58 am

I don't think you can reset ABS codes like that. However, if the condition that was causing the code goes away, the code could go inactive.

I've had the same thing happen. My theory was that some ice/snow got into the path between the abs sensor and the axle. A few restarts later once the ice melted, and all was back to normal.

t

Dodoinurpants

Postby Dodoinurpants » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:15 pm

Maybe on of your sensors are just dirty or need to be replaced.

Entropy98

Postby Entropy98 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:47 pm

Wheel speed sensor. My 98 Pathfinder did the same thing and the sensor was super dirty. I replaced it but could have cleaned the old one of all the grease and metal shards and been fine.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”