ESP Problem

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Baz3859

ESP Problem

Postby Baz3859 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:10 pm

Hello all.

I have a 2009 R51 2.5 manual Pathfinder and when I turn on the ignition the ESP Off and Skid warning lights don't come on for the short period they are supposed too.
When the car is running these lights stay off and when I push the ESP off switch it does nothing.
In fact I have never seen these light come on atoll - ignition or when running to advise there is a fault.
It's like the ESP doesn't exist as I have had a few slips on the road while under normal driving conditions that you would expect the Skid light to flash and the ESP to sort but nothing.
Anyone got any thoughts?

Baz3859

Postby Baz3859 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:49 pm

Can anyone help?

CPLTECH

Postby CPLTECH » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:33 pm

Glad to have you on the forum, but the sad news is that the vast majority on this site are from North America and Nissan [and / or gov’t] refuses to sell diesel or manual transmissions for our PF's here.

Try: http://www.pcoa.org.au/forum/index.php

SCOTSLAD

ESP Ises such as ESP and sue

Postby SCOTSLAD » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:45 am

Baz,

I had this issue for while. Surprise! Surprise! After much fault finding I found that it was my Brake Pads needed changing ! Sensors in the Brake units will switch off such ancillary features such as ESP etc. when the Brake pads are warring thin !!! Apparently ESP and other such feature will only work when Your Brake Pads are in Tip Top condition !
Check it out and give it a Try !
Additionally check the Fuses and Relays if you haven't already done so !

Baz3859

Postby Baz3859 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:04 am

all,

Thanks for the feedback so far.
SCOTSLAD - I bought this car with a full years MOT and if i remember correctly there was a set of pads replaced at the time but ever since picking this up i dont think i have ever seen the lights come on with the ignition for this short period of time before they go out again.
Iam also seing NO warning lights when driving as i did read somewhere that others had the ESP/SLIP lights comming on because of worn pads etc.
I have also looked but cant see any referance to fuses or a relay anywhere - Do you know where they are as i cant see them in the gloves box fuses or the 2 fuse boxes under the bonnet.
Iam totally stumped and have just last month had it through another MOT and brakes were good and it passed with nothing but 2 lower front ball joints.

SCOTSLAD

ESP

Postby SCOTSLAD » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:42 am

Sorry Baz.

You would really need to check the Fuses Box compartments thourouhgly for the location of these Relays and Fuses. Sometimes just re-seating them can resolve an issue as they can sometime work themselves loose.

Sadly too many issues such as this is like looking for a Leak in your Roof, water can come in one location but appears somewhere else inside !

Sorry I can't help any further. I would also check the Wiring loom which comes up from the Wheel hub to check there's no damage or ware and tear ! As that too can casue the Fault light to sporadically come on and off !

Cheers
Scotslad.

Baz3859

Postby Baz3859 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:24 am

Thanks SCOTSLAD

Ye the lights have never been on at ignition or when driving so guess I need to start the process of finding fuses / relays then start tracing and checking wire.

Let the process begin

Thanks again

Baz3859

Postby Baz3859 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:48 am

Well spent a bit of time today going over the car and eventually removed the cluster to find some b@@@@@d had put black tape over the bulbs to hide the fact the lights are on.

Gives me a lot more scope now on the forums to now find out why they are staying lit.

scortpower

Postby scortpower » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:06 am

Baz3859 wrote:Well spent a bit of time today going over the car and eventually removed the cluster to find some b@@@@@d had put black tape over the bulbs to hide the fact the lights are on.

Gives me a lot more scope now on the forums to now find out why they are staying lit.
hi, did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Return to “R51 Electrical”