Auto Climate Control - Either super hot or cold

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

rmfisher321

Auto Climate Control - Either super hot or cold

Postby rmfisher321 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:17 pm

I have a 2006 Pathfinder with the auto climate control and Bose system. I've found that only on colder days (outside temp lower than about 55) the climate control basically throws hotter than hades heat no matter what temp I set it at, until I take it all the way down to 60. Then it blows cold. Bump it up to 65 then it's super hot again. There's no in-between which is super frustrating.

I live in San Diego, so it's not normally an issue, but I sometimes drive it to the mountains to go skiing, and the last couple of weeks here it's been pretty cold in the morning (low 40s). This lack of being able to control the temp is annoying to say the least. Reading around, it sounds like others have the same problems, but couldn't find any solutions. A lot of people talk about the no heat at idle because of air in the coolant lines. I don't have that problem, it blows hot no matter what. I just wish I could control the temp a little more, and leave it on auto and let it take care of it. This problem happens regardless of whether it's set to auto or manual control.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this? A new air sensor or calibration of the unit? Can the dealer to anything, or would I be wasting my money asking them to look at it? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:03 pm

I've had a somewhat similar issue for a long time. On my '08, I've researched that the auto climate is tied to an outside temp sensor, dash sensor for sun, and two interior sensors. I'm guessing one of them is goofy and throws off the "logic" but I'm not sure which one. I run it in manual mode most of the time and that gets around the worst of it. I keep saying I'm going to just replace all the sensors but just haven't gotten around to it. In five years. :?

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:55 pm

Yeah, one of those features where they meant well but didn't quite hit the mark. I'd much rather go back to manual.

On mine, I've discovered that, even in manual mode, the temperature of the air coming out of the vents is always in auto based on the temperature in the cabin. For example, if your system is in manual mode, set to 70 degrees and the cabin temp is 50 degrees, the air coming out of your vents will be 90 degrees until the ambient cabin temp reaches 70 degrees. So the only difference between auto and manual mode is that you get to lock in the fan speed and vent setting in manual mode. I miss the basic dials where you're in total control.

Anither annoying thing is that you can only recirculate when cold air is coming from the vents. Don't like the smell coming from the trash truck in front of you? You choose: practice gag reflex resistance or freeze.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:20 am

DanJetta wrote:Yeah, one of those features where they meant well but didn't quite hit the mark. I'd much rather go back to manual.
I've said that at some point on just about every vehicle I've owned with auto climate. The PF is the worst but my wife's MDX is far from flawless. The sun sensor in the dash seems to be the worst on hers because it can be comfortable one minute and if it gets a little brighter outside the A/C jumps to freeze-ur-ballz-off mode really fast. Other times it's just blowing medium temp air at 70% and drying out my contacts for no reason.

You can get the PF into recirculate if you change the mode to dash then hit recirculate. Temp doesn't matter. But when you run up on one of these bro-dozers with their diesel smoke rolling out, it's tough to hit the right combination of buttons fast enough.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:13 am

[/quote]
You can get the PF into recirculate if you change the mode to dash then hit recirculate. Temp doesn't matter. But when you run up on one of these bro-dozers with their diesel smoke rolling out, it's tough to hit the right combination of buttons fast enough.[/quote]

Ah, good call—you're totally right. I was connecting it with heat in my head because I usually use auto mode, which decides vent mode for you.

And believe it or not, my wife's Infiniti is actually worse than the Pathfinder. The best was my old Jetta. It had a diffuser vent on the upper part of the dash so the air wouldn't blow on you directly. And the manual mode was actually manual.

rmfisher321

Postby rmfisher321 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:30 am

So, it sounds like there's nothing that can be done about it? I was thinking about taking an air hose and blowing out the air sensor that's underneath the dash by the ignition. I didn't know if that would help, but I guess it's worth a shot.

But like you said, I think it's tied to the outside temp sensor somehow, because it doesn't have this issue when it's warmer out, only when it cooler.

Oh well, it is what it is. Thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:21 am

I've heard a number of complaints about the climate control systems in these vehicles. I've never had any issues with the ones in my 06 LE nor my 08 SE. I typically just set it to 71 degrees F. in "auto" and leave it alone, maybe tapping it up to 73 or 74 degrees if the weather's a little colder. I remember back when I worked for Nissan that sometimes the outside temp sensor would get dirty on some vehicles and might affect the readings. For those, we would take a rag with some white vinegar and clean off the sensor "bulb."

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:59 am

rmfisher321 wrote:So, it sounds like there's nothing that can be done about it?
Not really. The way the system works is that if 73F is dialed in, it will blast hot/cold air until it reaches that 73F. If the temp inside is 72F & 73F is dialed in, it will not blast when trying to reach 73F-usually the lowest fan setting. I've played with the thing long enough to know exactly what I will get in every situation. Heat doesn't bother me, so I'm never complaining about it being too hot. On the flipside, while driving on the freeway/highway in the hotter months, with the temp set to 68F, the AC gets colder and colder. I typically have to bump the temp into the mid 70s because some part of my exposed skin in the path of one of the vents, be it hands, face, leg, etc., will feel almost hypothermic because of how bloody cold it is. Oftentimes, I will crank the rear heat or AC, which takes a lot of the bite out of the front (front doesn't have to work as hard). I still fully prefer manual, but I doubt I will be able to ever find that in the future. The best heater I had in a car was in my old VW Thing. It consisted of a lever which controlled a flap valve to let in hot air.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:37 pm

smj999smj wrote:I remember back when I worked for Nissan that sometimes the outside temp sensor would get dirty on some vehicles and might affect the readings. For those, we would take a rag with some white vinegar and clean off the sensor "bulb."
Do you know where that's located on the PF? I've never found it.

rmfisher321

Postby rmfisher321 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:50 pm

I read in another post that it was mounted behind the grille in front of the radiator. True?

Genius spot to put that, too. IMHO.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:30 pm

Yeah, should be in front of the A/C condenser, behind the grill. I remember the older ones had it mounted to the hood latch brace that ran directly in front of the A/C condenser.

rmfisher321

Postby rmfisher321 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:49 am

Can't hurt to try to clean that, I guess. That and the inside sensor to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks, guys!

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:49 am

rmfisher321 wrote:Can't hurt to try to clean that, I guess. That and the inside sensor to see if it makes any difference.

Thanks, guys!
You can give it a shot. There really isn't anything to clean on the outside sensor that would make any difference. If anything, disconnect it from the wired plug and make sure it is clean inside. I had to install one, along with all the wiring, on our Xterra-the sensors are very well sealed. You could always replace it (I think I paid about $30 for mine), but I don't think the external sensor has anything to do with temperature control in the cabin. It's just used for the outside temp display on the mirror and/or those with the LCD head unit.

Sensor is located on the center support below the hood release. The small black rectangular thing pointed up:

rmfisher321

Postby rmfisher321 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:34 pm

So, here's an interesting development. I just got back from a trip to Park City, Utah, and used the auto climate control for most of the time. When I left Las Vegas in the morning on my way there, it was a cold 35 degrees, and of course the Pathfinder was cooking me out set all the way down to 65 degrees. But, as time progressed, it started letting up on the heat and I found myself turning the temp up to a comfortable 70 degrees on auto for the rest of the drive all the way up to Park City, even though the temp outside remained cold.

So, it would appear that the auto climate system works well, as long as you're going to be in the car for a while. It seems that it wants to run the heat to the extreme to warm the cabin when cold, when other auto climate controls I've had do it gradually. But once the cabin is to a warm temp after a while, it starts working great.

In the past, I typically only use it on quick trips around in town, so it never gets the opportunity to get the cabin in that perfect temperature. So, I guess the moral of this story is that the auto climate control works great, AS LONG AS you're going to be in the car for at least an hour or so.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:37 pm

I dunno...I'm in mine an hour each way for my commute every day and when it's acting goofy there's no getting around it. Ironically, it's been working pretty well so far this winter. Knock knock.....

Return to “R51 Electrical”