Future R51 owner

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

Jack Stilts

Future R51 owner

Postby Jack Stilts » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:22 pm

Hello Pathfinders!

I'm going to be in the market for an R51 in 2016, and I'm hoping to collect some ideas and research well beforehand.

I currently have an overbuilt 2002 Xterra, and I'm an active member on XterraNation and ExpeditionPortal.

The Xterra has been really good to me, but my family is growing and I want to focus on creature comforts more than being overdone.

I'm looking at the V8 instead of the V6; the extra power is desired after my many years of having the under-powered 3.3L on the Xterra, especially when traveling with camping gear.

My goals for the R51 will be:

-All-terrain tires (stock size or close to it)
-Suspension enhancements (not necessarily a lift, but I need to help the suspension to carry lots of gear)
-ARB front bumper
-Small enhancements - CB radio, Thule crossbars, lighting upgrades, rear dog barrier, etc.

I've been reading as much as I can, but a lot of this is a new market for me. The 2002 3.3L is easy to work on, and the IFS suspension with rear leaf springs is easy to upgrade. I'm trying to get more familiar with the springs, coils, and all that jazz, but could use some pointers.

I know about the radiator bypass on the 4.0L V6; is there anything like that with the V8? Any other major issues?

I'll continue reading back through all the threads on here to get a better idea of enhancements and upgrades for the truck; in the meantime, looking forward to gaining some knowledge!

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:47 pm

Expect an all terrain soccer mom van lol
With armada rear springs and airlift 1000 airbags you should have a problem carrying heavy loads
As for wheeling like your X you will need more work then you have in your X lol
By the way very nice first gen 8)

Jack Stilts

Postby Jack Stilts » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:11 am

Thupertrooper wrote:Expect an all terrain soccer mom van lol
With armada rear springs and airlift 1000 airbags you should have a problem carrying heavy loads
As for wheeling like your X you will need more work then you have in your X lol
By the way very nice first gen 8)
Haha I'm okay with that! Going to be a weird hybrid mix between kid hauler / DD and overlander. I don't plan to do any heavy wheeling with the Pathy. Just enough to get me to remote sites for camping, kayaking, and biking :)

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:11 pm

If you do get your R51 i want to see your build lol

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:44 pm

If you do happen to get a V8: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... f4dd7a00bd

It's fairly cheap and easy to get a decently capable vehicle out of these things despite what most people will say. (Suspension & tires) Mine surprises me every time I go out with the local XJ crew. Any reason why you want to go with ARB for the front bumper? I like the name, just not really the look of their bumper on this particular application.

Oh, and BTW ...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... Pathfinder

I also post on thenewx every now and then.

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”