Piston slap ?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

Piston slap ?

Postby Kestral » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:49 pm

I have noticed on my V6 Pathy that when real cold and I start driving even though I always drive real slow until full warmup I hear a faint what sounds like a knock? So I did some investigation and it seems many other people with this V6 on other forums experience this same noise. Many have deemed it piston slap? Do any of you think that's what it is? I find it hard to believe a motor (mine anyway) that uses no oil at all during an oil change interval of up to 7,500 miles has piston slap? Anyway it does not seem to effect longevity at leased that is what others on forums report.

Any of you expierence this?

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:01 am

Mine has always been noisy when cold. I don't think I would call it piston slap because that seems to occur at idle (particularly on Chevy 5.3L) where I don't get any noise at idle. Just while driving. It's pretty much always done it and I'm well over 140k miles so I'm not going to worry too much about it. I try to drive easy when the engine is cold, but I pull out of my development onto a 55mph road so it's not uncommon I have to get on it pretty hard within the first couple minutes. Hasn't blown anything yet.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:08 am

Yes mine is only while moving also not at idle. I'm at 36k and no issues although my first 7,000 miles I did not own it the dealer let people drive it when there car or SUV was in there shop for service so I am quite sure it was broken in hard! Ouch! Anyway it runs great I just thought the noise was a bit weird.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:11 am

Every internal combustion engine has some piston slap; some are just more noticeable than others. It doesn't have anything to do with burning oil. I had a Toyota 2.7L I-4 that had a very loud piston slap during the winter time but it went away once warmed up. It didn't lose any noticeable amount of oil between oil changes of 5000 mile intervals. Some BMW engines have piston slap and even late model, GM V8's, have had some issues with piston slap.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”