2003 Exhaust system recommendation

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

TTmute

2003 Exhaust system recommendation

Postby TTmute » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:23 pm

I am in need of a full exhaust replacement I don't know where to start. I would like to keep cost as low as possible and hopefully get an increase in performance or stock performance.

Here is a link of items I looked at so far. THanks for any help you can provide.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K01VVC/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HMAXQG/

Keep in mind I don't know much about the set up of the exhaust. But I do remember the mechanic welding on two random pipes near the front. I feel like all the welding has impacted performance and I would like to reboot the truck. Thanks for your help and i'm open to used parts too. I live in Toronto but I have a family in the US that I can ship and he will ship it to me. THanks.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:06 pm

Welding in new sections of pipe shouldn't change performance and unless there is something restricting the exhaust flow, replacing exhaust components with parts that are designed to be stock replacements won't add any performance. Also, "low-flow" or "performance" catalytic converters are usually not much better than in performance than their stock counterparts.
You actually have four catalytic converters. The front two bolt directly to the exhaust manifold and cannot be replaced by "universal" converters unless you are going to install headers and custom exhaust, which may require ECM re-tuning. The second set of converters are part of the front tube assemblies and are not monitored by the oxygen sensors. These could be replaced by direct-fit front pipe assemblies, universal converters or eliminated completely, which may or may not be legal depending where you live unless it's for "off-road" use only.
If you aren't experiencing any check engine light issues or P0420/P0430 trouble codes, the front converters are probably just fine; you could always have an exhaust back-pressure test performed on the system to see if it is restrictive. The post converters seldom fail, as well, unless the pipe or seams start to leak, which does sometimes happen. FYI, Walker refers to the secondary converters as "resonators," which technically isn't correct.
After the two, upstream catalytic converters and two, front tube assemblies, you have two, intermediate pipes, a main muffler and a post muffler/tailpipe assembly. How much you actually need without seeing the system, I cannot tell you; if you need everything, including the front catalytic converters, it's going to get a little expensive. You have several options to go with:

-You could go with aftermarket, direct-fit components, like Walker or Bosal. Walker usually has aluminized steel or stainless steel options, the later being better, but more expensive. If you need catalytic converters, they have them available, as well. These systems are well made and much cheaper than genuine Nissan parts, however, they often don't sound as good as the OEM parts and often don't last as long, either. Try Rockauto.com for prices on these systems. Don't forget that in addition to the main parts, you'll also have gaskets and hardware (clamps, bolts and nuts, hangers or insulators).

-Genuine Nissan parts are expensive, but sound and perform like the original equipment they replace. Nissan used to have "value" line options on their exhaust parts, as well. They are made by OE companies, like Calsonic, and their fit and sound are similar to the "regular" Nissan counterpart, but they have a lower cost and lesser warranty. The genuine Nissan system is stainless steel.

-A custom exhaust shop is another option. They can offer several options, from direct replacement systems (often similar in sound and performance to the aftermarket options) to performance options, including Magnaflow or Flowmaster mufflers and choices on type of pipes, usually stainless steel or aluminized steel. Keep in mind that performance mufflers, while they may give you increased performance, are also typically a lot louder than their stock counterparts. To some people, that's a good thing, for others, not so much.

TTmute

Postby TTmute » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:49 pm

Thanks, that was really insightful and I will look into a custom shop around. I hope they can help. Thanks.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”