Rattling sound

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jetstream87

Rattling sound

Postby jetstream87 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:46 pm

I notice that my 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE makes a rattling sound when I go over speed bumps or on potholes. Can it mean that it needs new shocks? Something is wrong with the suspension? Also when I drive on the highway my steering wheel is not held straight, it is actually turned to the left or right can it be the directional box? Please help

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:55 am

Rattling can simply be a loose exhaust shield, but one really can tell unless one gets under the vehicle and has a look. I use a rubber mallet to bang on different things to locate rattles.
As far as the steering, you may just need an alignment. But, before an alignment is performed, an inspection of the steering and suspension components should be performed, along with checking for play in the wheel bearings. The R50 Pathfinders don't have a steering box; they have rack and pinion steering. Rear suspension link bushings are a common failure and will cause the vehicle to wander all over the road and something that should be checked.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”