2005 R51 Purge Cannister Valve

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

BAMAGRAD1995

2005 R51 Purge Cannister Valve

Postby BAMAGRAD1995 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:41 pm

Anyone ever replaced a purge Cannister valve on an R51? If so, where is it located? How do you replace it?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:58 am

Well, there's a purge control valve for the evaporative emission system which is located right on top of the timing chain front cover (refer part code "14920+A" on the part diagram linked below. They are not a common failure on the R51. Then there is the canister vent control valve, which is a pretty common failure, and is mounted to the evaporative emissions canister under the rear of the vehicle; refer part code "14920." If it's the latter, there have been a couple of service bulletins on them. One regards a countermeasure valve, which looks quite a bit different than the original and has a stronger actuator for better sealing. The other refers to installing a filter kit to the vent control valve, which prevents dirt from getting sucked into the valve; the valve would also be replaced during the repair.

http://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-li ... b6%3dSE%29

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:05 am

I've had a replacement VCV sitting on the shelf for 4 years now. I've never been able to get the mounting bolts loose for the canister. Too much rust.

Any pointers SMJ?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:36 am

Lots and lots of soaking in rust penetrant and a drill and tap set just in case.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:02 am

I'll be replacing my valve sometime in the next week or so. Looked around at various posts related to the filter kit & it doesn't seem worth it. I also stumbled upon a huge number of posts detailing the installation/replacement & it sounds pretty easy to do, but we'll see when I start on it. At the very least, it finally prompted me to get my own code reader.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:51 pm

It's not hard to replace; just remove the hose, disconnect the electrical connector and twist to remove from the canister. The "upgraded" vent control valve is also available on the aftermarket from Standard Motor Parts, among others, and you can get it at Rockauto.com. Dorman still offers the original style valve at a lesser cost.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:56 pm

smj999smj wrote:It's not hard to replace; just remove the hose, disconnect the electrical connector and twist to remove from the canister. The "upgraded" vent control valve is also available on the aftermarket from Standard Motor Parts, among others, and you can get it at Rockauto.com. Dorman still offers the original style valve at a lesser cost.
Wasn't as easy as I was led to believe. Actually took me a couple of hours, but I have the (correct) procedure down pat. Here are the steps:

1. Remove the single 12mm bolt holding the canister in place. This allows for the canister to drop a few inches, which is needed. I couldn't do anything from underneath because I had absolutely no leverage with my hands all cramped up in a very small place.
2. I removed the 4 retaining push clips from the plastic wheel well liner, which allowed me to bend it down over the tire and gain pretty good access to the valve.
3. Remove the one hose connected to the valve-comes off pretty easily.
4. Twist the valve counter-clockwise about 15-20 degrees and it will come right out. My problem was that the online instructions I found said to turn it 1/4 turn, which is too far. I almost gave up-90% of the total time I spent on this was dealing only with trying to twist and remove it.
5. You can now drop the valve down far enough that you can access the electrical connector from underneath. Just push in on the center tab and pull apart. I immediately connected the new one, pushed it back up top, popped the valve into place from the wheelwell & reinstalled the hose.

I don't even know for certain if this will fix my problem, but the code points to this pretty specifically (P0448). I'll clear it tomorrow and see if it comes back or not. Sorry, no pictures-Camera is having a recall repair.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”