Inexpensive TPMS sensors.

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:43 pm

They're a good idea, but our system is basic compared to others. This is from Edmunds.com, explaining the way the C7 Corvette uses its TPMS system:

"Integrated Tire Temperature/Chassis Controls

Chevy uses the tire temperature data available through the C7's tire pressure sensors to more carefully control its ABS and electronic differential. Because the pressure sensors don't measure tire temperature directly (they actually measure the temperature of the TPMS sensor's microprocessor), it's not a perfect science, but it is one that data modeling can largely overcome. And it's one more piece of information that can be utilized to enhance the driving experience.

Tire temps are split into three categories: cold (below 45 degrees), warm (45-115 degrees) and hot (above 115 degrees). In "cold" mode ABS intervenes sooner and more progressively, while the differential is more aggressive to limit inside wheelspin. As temps increase, ABS control intervenes later and becomes more lenient, while differential locking ramps up more slowly."

Site reference: http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/feat ... he-c7.html

mrjfk65

Postby mrjfk65 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:16 pm

Big thanks to smj999smj for authoring this thread. Very well laid out, and helped me to decide to purchase the Dormer TPMS sensors for my 2006 LE. The advice that you gave that was key was to make sure to purchase "Direct fit" tpms sensors so that a proprietary programming device from Dorman is not necessary, and that way any tire shop can "wake up" the sensors after they are installed.

I say this because my tire dealer made it very clear to me that I should only be buying OEM sensors, because he does not have a programmer(and or the ability) for anything other then factory sensors.

I ordered the Dormers (Part# 974-020) for $41.23 per unit from a place called Parts Geek.

Once the parts come in, I will let everyone know how the install went.

mrjfk65

Dorman Sensor worked great!

Postby mrjfk65 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:49 am

I received the Dormans that were direct fit (Part number 974-020). I bought them from "Parts Geek". I took the Pathfinder to Bergeys Tire in Silverdale, PA. and they were not able to do anything other then install and wake up the sensors. They told me that they were unable to program the computer to find the sensors. I sort of suspected this would be a problem before I even brought the car to them.

I contacted Dormans tech line direct and they were beyond helpful. They actually invited me over to their facility in Colmar, PA and within 5 minutes had the units woken up and programmed. They made it very clear to me that they did not use any proprietary equipment to do any of the work, and that any tire installer that can program a Nissan, should be able to wake up and program the sensors.

Bottom line? Make sure in advance that your tire installer knows what they are doing, mine did not. It's a pretty simple thing to both wake up and program these sensors.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:03 pm

If you get the sensors "woke up," there is a way to register the sensors without a scantool. If you look under the driver's side of the dash, attached to the harness going to the OBD II diagnostic connector is taped a 2-pin, white connector with a single wire.

To retrieve diagnostic TPMS system codes, turn the key "on" and ground the wire to chassis five times in ten seconds. This will cause the TPMS warning lamp to flash 2-digit, TPMS manufacturer codes. The long flashes are the "tens" and the short flashes are the "ones." So, if you get two long flashes and one short flash, you have a code "21," for example.

To register the sensors (sensors must be previously woke-up with a trigger tool unless it is sold as ready-to-program, as some aftermarket sensors are): Adjust the tire pressures as follows: 36psi-left front, 33psi-right front, 30-psi-right rear, 27psi-left rear. Ground the TPMS connector to chassis ground and start the vehicle. The TPMS warning light will flash. Drive the vehicle at least 25 mph for 5 minutes and the warning light will stop flashing and remain illuminated. If this happens, your sensors are registered; turn the key "off" and unground the TPMS connector. If you have a bad TPMS sensor or one that was not waken-up, the process will not complete. Kent-Moore sells the trigger tool for around $60, if my memory is correct. The trigger tool does two things. First, it forces a sleeping sensor to "wake-up" when you put the tool near the sensor and activate the tool. Second, when the tool is put at the tire bead near the sensor and activated, it forces the TPMS sensor to generate a signal. The TPMS contoller must be in program mode in order to register the sensor and the sensors must be registered in proper order. It can be used on a number of manufacturer's vehicles for programming, but different manufacturers sometimes have different programming procedures. Some GM's will let you use the trigger tool and the onscreen menu to register the sensors. Others, like some Ford trucks, use a washer-like magnet that goes around the valve stem and a scantool when programming. You need to check in regards to other vehicles.

Eckstream1

Postby Eckstream1 » Wed May 18, 2016 9:18 am

Anyone know how many sensors can be programmed at one time?
I'll be switching between 20's in the summer and 17's in the winter and am hoping I can have both sets of wheels programmed at the same time...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu May 19, 2016 1:30 pm

Four sensors can be programmed at one time, meaning you will have to reprogram them every time you swap wheels. You can do this on your own, however. Since the sensors will be "awake," you can program them the manual way by shorting the TPMS diagnostic connector and driving the cars with the tire pressures set with 3 psi differences, from left front, to right front, right rear and then left rear. Even easier is to get a "trigger tool" for about $50-60. With that, you don't need to reset the tire pressures, just get into the manual program mode and put the trigger tool near the valve stem of the each wheel and press the button on the tool, following the same pattern as above. There are instructions on both these methods that you can find on YouTube.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”