Grinding gears 4X4

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jetstream87

Grinding gears 4X4

Postby jetstream87 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:45 am

Yesterday I used the 4X4 for the first time in which I did not know how to get out after I got in. After a little search on the internet I came to find out that I had to put the gears to 2H and back up the car 10' in order to deactivate the 4X4 function. I noticed that when I tried to switch from N to 4L or 4H the gears made a grinding sound and will not take the gears, does anyone know why? I was stopped and Neutral.

starman8tdc

Postby starman8tdc » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:43 pm

Here is some useful info for you.

1) If you don't know exactly what you are doing, don't mess with the 4x4 at all. Leave the transfer case alone.

2) The 100% safest way to use the 4x4 lever is with the engine OFF.

3) When changing from low to high range or high to low, move the shift lever quickly. Moving it slowly will cause grinding. See owners manual.

Hawairish

Postby Hawairish » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:55 pm

But why a new thread? Are we still discussing the same grinding issue?

When you say "first time", are you new to 4wd in general, or just new to the 4wd system in the Pathfinder? I applaud wanting to learn in either case.

Keeping in mind what I mentioned on the other thread, there should be little or no grinding unless there's a legitimate problem with gear meshing. Assuming that's not the problem, are you sure you understand the shifting process?

Does the truck have manual front hubs? If so, and these are not engaged, you will have difficulty engaging and disengaging.

If you don't have a copy of your Owner's Manual, here you go: http://justgivemethedamnmanual.com/down ... finder.pdf

From it:
Image Image

(You do have an AT, right?)

There's more information in the manual beyond this. It behooves you to read it.

If this still doesn't work, then there may be a real issue.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”