Where is my coolant going???

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Cracker

Where is my coolant going???

Postby Cracker » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:37 pm

I have an '05 with 172,000 miles. I did the coolant/tranny bypass around 120,000 miles. Never had an issue with it. Don't have much in the way of issues at all actually. A few months ago I noticed that a fan would turn on not long after the engine was turned on...like an extra cooling fan. I thought it odd since the engine would not have been that hot. Turns out I was pretty low on coolant...dropped about a gallon in and filled the main to about an inch below the cap. Two months later I check again and it's a few cups low. My coolant is going somewhere, and not onto the garage floor. The reservoir next to the wiper fluid appears to have a normal level. Any idea where the coolant is going? Drives just fine and the temp gauge never gets more than 25% high. I use synthetic oil and change it every 10K miles.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:57 pm

Is your motor oil a milky white color? Cracked head?

Could be your heater core leaking do you smell coolant inside or outside the Pathy?

Cracker

Postby Cracker » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:41 pm

Well, I do have a leak somewhere...it's dripping onto the ground. Oil is looking good. I'll monitor it. I filled it a week ago and it's still visible at the top of the radiator so it's not a bad leak--One drip every 15 seconds.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:37 pm

You may want to send an oil sample into Blackstone labs to see if there is any collant in your oil.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”