Wheel bearing/hub bolts

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

kopeck

Wheel bearing/hub bolts

Postby kopeck » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:04 am

Morning Folks,

I'm 99% sure I toasted a rear wheel bearing (passenger side) on my '07 Pathfinder. I've got to dig into it tonight. I've replaced the front bearing/hub assemblies a few years ago so I know the process, pretty simple overall. My question is I noticed the manual says I'm suppose replace the bolts that hold the hub to the knuckle. On the front bearings I called the three dealerships local to me and none of them had them in stock, which I found odd. I ended reusing the old ones thinking I would order new ones and swap them out...which never did end up doing.

Do you guys replace them? I looked them up online and they're not all that expensive but I seem to recall it was going to take a few days to get them last time. It also makes me wonder if the dealerships are replacing them if they don't keep them in stock...

K

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:10 am

nope, I reuse them.

Note that a few weeks ago, I also was working on my rear hubs. Had an issue with fitment on the MOOG 541003. It would not allow the driveshaft through the hub.

Here is the link to my post.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=14143

kopeck

Postby kopeck » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:33 am

disallow wrote:nope, I reuse them.

Note that a few weeks ago, I also was working on my rear hubs. Had an issue with fitment on the MOOG 541003. It would not allow the driveshaft through the hub.

Here is the link to my post.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=14143
That's interesting...I used MOOG bearings up front and had no issue. I have Timkin's in my Amazon shopping cart right now, I just need to verify that it's the problem (I've had a loud hum for a while that added a thunk when turning last night. Now I can feel the wheel move when I yank on it).

K

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:35 am

Mine went bad while doing the rear brakes. I must have whacked the rotor too hard to get it loose, after that I had a ton of play on the tire like you mentioned.

I've emailed moog, but don't expect the hear back.

kopeck

Postby kopeck » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:15 pm

disallow wrote:Mine went bad while doing the rear brakes. I must have whacked the rotor too hard to get it loose, after that I had a ton of play on the tire like you mentioned.

I've emailed moog, but don't expect the hear back.
Well it's the wheel bearing, it's toast. Why didn't they allow a 1/8" more clearance around the axle stub so you could remove the bolts with out have to move get the shaft out of the way?

I've got a Timken on the way, I'm only doing one side, the other seems to be quiet and there's no play, I'm going with the if it aint broke don't fix it train of thought.

K

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”