2012 Pathfinder Transmission Fluid

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

0twelvepathy

2012 Pathfinder Transmission Fluid

Postby 0twelvepathy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:25 pm

I recently purchased a 2012 Pathfinder S in June (77,800 mi). I'm pretty sure I felt the transmission slip last week starting out from a stop light.

The vehicle was purchased with "CARFAX" records dating from orig, one owner purchase but does NOT state any transmission fluid changes and the fluid is "clear".

I was told a transmission flush would be detrimental if the fluid hasn't been changed and overly contaminated. Another Nissan forum member stated that clear fluid is not good and should be changed "Now" so I want to do just a change regardless.

I've been trying to gain as much info on Nissan Matic S transmission fluid as possible on the net and including Nissan service and parts reps. They were all contradictory. The dipstick appears clear but I'm totally confused now as to whether that's normal or what.

Sorry for the long post but I really need definitive, clear info before I do anything.

Will use Castrol or Valvoline for the change.

Thanks for the help.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:31 pm

NissanMatic "J" and "S" ATF appear clear or a very light pink on the dipstick and they look brown when you drain it. That's normal. It's a synthetic ATF and lasts a long time under normal driving conditions (Nissan doesn't specify a replacement interval; it only states to "inspect" every 15000 miles). I would just recommend a drain and fill now and again in 30,000 miles. It'll take about a gallon of ATF and the drain plug gasket is the same as the one for the engine oil pan drain plug: Nissan 11026-01M02. Most synthetic ATF's will work fine in place of NissanMatic "S"; just make sure that it states it is recommended for NissanMatic Type "S" applications. I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF in my two Pathfinders, which I get in a 1-gallon container for $17.50 at Walmart.

0twelvepathy

Postby 0twelvepathy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:16 am

Thanks much for your reply. I don't know why it so difficult to gain correct information on some subjects these days. Another Nissan forum stated that J and S were both red. While another contributor in the same thread stated they were clear.

I understand Castrol is the mfr of Nissan Matic but "Castrol Transmax Import Multi" only specifically mentions Matic J and not "S".

Thanks once again and I'lll plan on a refill with Valvoline Maxlife ATF. .

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:24 pm

When the NissanMatic "J" and "S" ATF pour out of the bottle, they are a very, dark red color. For whatever reason, they look pinkish or clear on the dipstick and drains out a brownish color. NissanMatic "S" is actually NissanMatic "J" but has added friction modifiers required for use in the 7-speed automatic transmission used in some Infinitis. The RE5R05A 5-speed automatic transmission only requires Transmax "J" ATF, but Type "S" replaced Type "J" and therefore is mentioned as the correct transmission fluid for later R51 Pathfinders. Using Valvoline for a couple of services will result in the ATF having a more traditional red color on the dipstick and drains out of the pan a cherry red color (assuming there's nothing wrong with the transmission, of course).

0twelvepathy

Postby 0twelvepathy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:51 am

...wish you hadn't mentioned "assuming there's nothing wrong with the transmission, of course", since I felt the transmission slip recently which has caused me all this anxiety. All I can do is change the fluid and hope for the best I guess.

Thanks

0twelvepathy

Transmission fluid Change

Postby 0twelvepathy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:37 am

I'm planning a drain and fill with Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

Should the old fluid be drained cold, warm or hot? So far I've read conflicting info.

Thanks,

Dick

edit:
Should the old fluid being drained and the new fluid be the same temperature ?

disallow
Site Admin

Re: Transmission fluid Change

Postby disallow » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:38 am

0twelvepathy wrote:I'm planning a drain and fill with Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

Should the old fluid be drained cold, warm or hot? So far I've read conflicting info.

Thanks,

Dick

edit:
Should the old fluid being drained and the new fluid be the same temperature ?
i like to do a hot drain, for all fluid changes. It flows better so more comes out and faster.

that being said, hot oil hurts! be careful!

0twelvepathy

Postby 0twelvepathy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:58 am

Thanks Terry,

Warm or hot drain makes sense, but if you replace with new fluid that's a cooler temp I'm concerned if that affects the level....

Dick

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:22 am

0twelvepathy wrote:Thanks Terry,

Warm or hot drain makes sense, but if you replace with new fluid that's a cooler temp I'm concerned if that affects the level....

Dick
Never had a problen.

0twelvepathy

Postby 0twelvepathy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:52 pm

Fluid drained - 3.3qts/3.13ltr
Color - brown with flecks of debris.

How concerned should I be and should fluid be mixed or should I use Nissan Matic S?

Thanks,

Dick

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:11 pm

I'd do a drain and fill again with the valvoline product.

0twelvepathy

Postby 0twelvepathy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:31 pm

Your help is most appreciated. I'll fill with Valvoline and drive it a bit then do another drain and fill. I was advised also to drop the pan next time, clean it and replace the filter.....

Thanks again

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:34 pm

Whoever advised you to do that is not familiar with nissan vehicles.

Drain and fill is all that is required. There is no filter.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:53 pm

^^I agree. Just drain and fill. If you really want to replace more of the fluid, you can do a trans flush by disconnecting a cooler hose and routing it into a pan and pinch off the return side of the hose. As you run the engine, pour new fluid into the dipstick tube at the same rate as it is being drained. You'll want to go through about 10-12 quarts of ATF. An ATF fluid exchange machine makes the job a lot easier, but it can be done as described to the same outcome.

0twelvepathy

Postby 0twelvepathy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:06 pm

Drain and fill competed two days ago with Valvoline Maxlife with new gasket. No leaks and everything appears normal - shifting appears smooth and normal.

I thanks you all for your help and apologize for any OCD...

Have a good weekend.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”