I swear...love this vehicle, BUT... Driveshaft noise?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

BlueTJMCRT

I swear...love this vehicle, BUT... Driveshaft noise?

Postby BlueTJMCRT » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:04 pm

oK, 2008 Pathfinder SE 4x4

Had the ujoints replaced on the front and rear driveshaft 3 months ago after major vibrations. It fixed my issues, except for at speeds of 75mph and over.

But here is my question. I've got another noise, a creaking, binding noise that is in the rear when I accelerate from a stop. If I'm at a stop and hit the gas slowly, it's like an old door is being opened. The sound is coming from the rear. The shop told me it's the rear brakes.

I had new brakes, calipers, and rotors put on it 3 months ago also, so I promptly took it to that shop and had them look at the rear brakes. They are perfect, that isn't the noise.

SO, this is a long read, I know. But - WTF is the creaking/click noise coming from the rear end? Almost like the noise old shocks or springs would make when accelerating from a stop, except it has brand new shocks also.....

:?

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:08 pm

I say it's either your rear hatch or your suspension.

labsy

Postby labsy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:14 am

Rear has CV joints on half axles.... might those produce the noise? If it is clicking, might be balls in half axles CV joints.
See if any rubber boot is damaged.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:07 am

I wouldn't over look the possibility that something may be wrong with the new u-joints or their installation.
Also, brake pads have hardware (spring clips) to dampen noise & vibration, and there is a grease that is applied to the back of them for the same reason.
Maybe there is a problem with that....

ZPOC RDY

Postby ZPOC RDY » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:58 pm

Have someone stand outside as you drive away as you described and pinpoint the area of the noise. What are the conditions that produce the noise? (fast accel, cold morning, etc)

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”