4WD, ABS, DSC and anti slip lights on

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

labsy

4WD, ABS, DSC and anti slip lights on

Postby labsy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:16 pm

Hi,

I know this has been discussed here already, but I am on vacation and have very bad internet connectivity (only in the morning I can get 7% signal)....so I ask again.
As told, I am 1000 miles from home at seaside, it's 95 degrees here and I've got all 4 orange lights came on yesterday when I just started my car.
First I've heard ABS kicking in when I drove slowly off the parking lot, then after half a mile DSC and anti slip light came on, and short after that followed the orange 4WD and ABS lights. The 4WD drive mode indicator disappeared from the screen.

I reset vehicle by disconnecting battery for 4-5 minutes (I reset it once again for 1 hour, but did not help), but as soon as I started engine and even before I started driving, the DSC and AntiSlip orange lights were on. After few meters also ABS and 4WD again came on.

I swirched to 2WD and beside having no DSC and no ABS vehicle drives fine.

ELM OBD2 general tester on my Android shows no fault codes.

Any idea what else could I try while on vacation, far from home?
Last edited by labsy on Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:53 am

You'll need a scan tool capable of reading "C" codes, not just "P" codes. "C" codes are trouble codes used in the ABS system. A generic OBD II code reader will not access those codes.

labsy

Postby labsy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:02 am

I guess so, yes.
It slip my mind, miht be really one of front ABS sensors or connectors, which I changed with hub assembly few weeks ago. I remember those sfubborn connectors, which did not want to disc9nnect even after 1 hour of trying. Maybe we broke some harness.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:12 am

It could be. A lot of times these turn out to be faulty or dirty sensors. A poor connection would have the same results. Find out what the ABS code is will help.

labsy

Postby labsy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:11 am

It's been some storms here so as I have nothing to do during stormy vacation, I foud the procedure to read ABS C-codes and I've counted 4WD light blinking in the following sequence:
1 long, then short series of 2, 6, 11, 12, 14, 17, 22 and 23.

Any idea what codes did I read and what they mean?

Also I guess those are accumulated codes maybe from 10 years ago, so I guess I would need to reset them and read only new ones.
Anyone knows procedure to reset C codes?

***EDIT***
I found codes explanation in my own tech manual under Transfer Diagnostic. Also found that by simply turning ignition OFF after doing diagnostic check, it will reset stored codes.

Will report back with my newest findings tomorrow.

***EDIT2***
IMPORTANT FINDING!
What I found out during this issue, which is most probably caused by failure in one ABS sensor, is the following:
Central diff cannot work in AUTO mode, so mode selector:
2WD, AUTO, 4Hi or 4Lo actually switches only between
2WD, 4Hi, 4Hi and 4Lo
So if you think you supposed to be in AUTO mode, you are actually in 4Hi mode, central diff is locked and A LOT of stress is put to whole driveline!

So if the same issue applies to you, DO NOT DRIVE IN AUTO MODE!!! Switch to rear 2WD until you fix it!

labsy

Postby labsy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:18 pm

Just to write down procedure to read Transmission "C" codes manually, without special equipment:

Diagnostic Procedure (A/T models)
1. Warn up engine. Do not turn engine off.
2. Move A/T selector lever to “P” position.
3. Turn 4WD shift switch to “2WD” position.
4. Turn ignition switch “OFF”, then “ON” and “OFF” at least twice, and then turn ignition switch “OFF”. (So actual sequence is OFF, ON, OFF, ON, OFF)
5. Turn 4WD shift switch to “AUTO” position.
6. Turn ignition switch “ON”. (Do not start engine.)
7. 4WD warning lamp ON.
If 4WD warning lamp does not turn ON, refer to TF-148, "4WD Warning Lamp Does Not Turn ON" .
8. Move A/T selector lever to “R” position.
9. Turn 4WD shift switch to “2WD”, “AUTO” and “2WD” in order.
10. Move A/T selector lever to “D” position.
11. Turn 4WD shift switch to “4H”, “AUTO” and “4H” in order.
12. Move A/T selector lever to “N” position.
13. Turn 4WD shift switch to “AUTO” position.
14. Move A/T selector lever to “P” position.
15. Read the flickering of 4WD warning lamp.

The flickering sequence starts by 1 LONG blink, then follow the shorter blinks with longer pause. You will need to either be with a friend in a vehicle for one to read blinks loud and other to write it down, or you will need to read it with eyes focused on paper on steering wheel and counting flickering lamp with peripheral vision.
Fortunatelly flickering repeats once all codes are shown, so you have many options to read them through.

16. If you want to RESET diagnostic codes, then turn ignition switch to OFF after reading codes. If you want them to STAY stored in memory, perform some other action with ignition switch, A/T selector or 2WD mode selector before turning ignition OFF.

WHAT CODES MEAN?

2 Output shaft revolution signal (from TCM)
- Malfunction is detected in output shaft revolution signal that is output from TCM through CAN communication.
- Improper signal is input while driving.

3 Clutch pressure solenoid valve signal
Proper voltage is not applied to clutch pressure solenoid valve due to open or short circuit.

4 2-4WD solenoid valve signal
Proper voltage is not applied to 2-4WD solenoid valve due to open or short circuit.

5 Transfer motor Transfer motor does not operate properly due to open or short circuit in transfer motor or transfer motor relay.

6 Vehicle speed signal (from ABS)
- Malfunction is detected in vehicle speed signal that is output from ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) through CAN communication.

7 CAN communication Malfunction has been detected from CAN communication line.

8 AD converter AD converter system of transfer control unit is malfunctioning.

9 Transfer fluid temperature sensor
Signal voltage from transfer fluid temperature sensor is abnormally high (Transfer fluid temperature is abnormally low) while driving.

10 Neutral-4LO switch Improper signal from neutral-4LO switch is input due to open or short circuit.

11 Clutch pressure switch
- Improper signal is input due to open or short circuit.
- Malfunction occurs in clutch pressure switch or hydraulic circuit.

12 Line pressure switch
- Improper signal is input due to open or short circuit.
- Malfunction occurs in line pressure switch or hydraulic circuit.

13 Engine speed signal (from ECM)
- Malfunction is detected in engine speed signal that is output from ECM through CAN communication.

14 Accelerator pedal position sensor (from ECM)
- Malfunction is detected in accelerator pedal position signal that is output from ECM through CAN communication.
- Signal voltage from accelerator pedal position sensor is abnormally high or low.

15 Power supply Power supply voltage for transfer control unit is abnormally low while driving.

16 4WD shift switch More than two switch inputs are simultaneously detected due to short circuit of 4WD shift switch.

17 ABS operation signal (from ABS)
Malfunction is detected in ABS operation signal that is output from ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) through CAN communication.

18 Wait detection switch Improper signal from wait detection switch is input due to open or short circuit.

19 Actuator motor
- Motor does not operate properly due to open or short circuit in actuator motor.
- Malfunction is detected in the actuator motor. (When 4WD shift switch is operated and actuator motor is not operated)
- Malfunction is detected in transfer shift high relay and transfer shift low relay.

20 Actuator position switch
- Improper signal from actuator position switch is input due to open or short circuit.
- Malfunction is detected in the actuator position switch.

21 Actuator circuit
- Transfer control device actuator circuit is shorted or open. (Malfunctions are detected when motor relay circuit is open/shorted or relay transfer shift circuit is open/shorted.)
- Malfunction occurs in transfer control device drive circuit.
Malfunction is detected in transfer shut off relay.

22 ESP operation signal (from ESP)
Malfunction is detected in ESP operation signal that is output from ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) through CAN communication.

23 TCS operation signal (from TCS)
Malfunction is detected in TCS operation signal that is output from ABS actuator and electric unit (control unit) through CAN communication.

24 PNP switch signal (from TCM)
When A/T PNP switch signal is malfunction or communication error between the vehicles.

Repeats flickering every 2 to 5 sec. — Circuits that the self-diagnosis covers have no malfunction. —

Repeats flickering every 0.25 sec. Data erase display
- Power supply malfunction of memory back-up.
- Battery performance is poor.

No flickering
You might made a mistake in procedure and you are not in diagnostic mode.
For A/T models, PNP switch or 4WD shift switch. PNP switch or 4WD shift switch circuit is shorted or open.
For M/T models, park/neutral position switch, back-up lamp switch or 4WD shift switch. Park/neutral position switch, back-up lamp switch or 4WD shift switch circuit is shorted or open.

labsy

Postby labsy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:21 pm

Hmmm...I found the problem source: broken ABS sensor wire just at harness :

I replaced with an old ABS sensor, which I had handy and I was happy.

....until ABS, DSC off and SLIP lights came briefly on during driving. They all set off few seconds later, but I am not confident anymore. Also in AUTO mode during one harsh turn it seems to me that central diff again is locked, so my paranoia switched back to 2WD.
Quite a shitty feeling. :?

I guess I will buy both front ABS sensors new and replace them.

labsy

Postby labsy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:34 am

Well, I changed both front ABS sensors and I thought problem solved as none od the lights came back.
But now we're on vacation again, seaside and high temperatures all day, vehicle parked on direct sunlight all day long and all 4 lights came back with exactly same symptoms as before.

What I am thinking is whether GREASE could cause problems? Because when I was changing ANS sensors both sensors were full of grease, fresh grease which I greased wheel hubs with some 2 months ago when I chenged them.
I am wondering if there I put too much grease and it might fill ABS metallic ring, maybe ABS sensor would pick up wrong reading, causing all mentioned problems.

Thoughts anybody?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:33 am

It wouldn't be the grease, itself, but any metal that has become stuck in the grease, like brake shavings, could cause the problem.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”