AC works for a short time and stops

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

harri203

AC works for a short time and stops

Postby harri203 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:25 pm

Thanks in advance for any help!

I have a 2004 LE Pathfinder this is having some AC issues. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It may come on and be cold for 5 min and then gradually start blowing hot air, if I turn on the AC completely and restart it a few times it may blow cold again or it may not. The AC compressor is on and running/spinning and warm air may be blowing warm air. I can't seem to narrow down where the issue is exactly and any help would be greatly appreciated!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:15 pm

It could be low on refrigerant or perhaps a bad thermistor (aka "thermal amp") among other possibilities. A set of gauges needs to be installed to check the system pressures to help diagnose the problem.

Cusser

Re: AC works for a short time and stops

Postby Cusser » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:33 am

harri203 wrote:The AC compressor is on and running/spinning
Are you SURE that the center part of the AC compressor is turning when this happens, and not just the outer pulley??? If so, I'd suspect AC clutch gap is too large.

If the compressor center is turning, wonder if hot air is getting added to the air flow, like the heater core is not diverted/away from the air flow.

harri203

Postby harri203 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:55 am

Thanks for the replys! Yes, the compreesor is running. I have noticed the AC works fine most of the time when I start it up and run it for a bit. After a little while the AC kicks off and blows warm to hot air. If I turn the AC on and off a few times it will go back to blowing cold air for a short time.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”