2001 Timing Chain Replacement

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Spofrog

2001 Timing Chain Replacement

Postby Spofrog » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:36 pm

First time doing a timing chain replacement on a 2001 Pathfinder V6 model. The case is open and the timing chains are replaced but had a hard time getting the chain cover off. Most video I've watch shows engine out of the car for replacement. Mine is still in the car but to replace the cover correctly with the liquid gasket I need the power steering bracket removed. This lets me bring the cover straight in for a good mount. The problem is trying to remove the power steering bracket. One bolt is out but the other one is under the exhust manifold. Anyone do this job with the engine in the car. Did you have to remove the power steering pump bracket? If so, how did you get to the bolts?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:09 am

I'm sure it's just like the 4.0L and it does have to come off. I use a 14MM L-wrench like the link below:

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/g/A ... s-l225.jpg

You can put something in the end of it to get a little more leverage and since you don't have to much of a swing, you'll have to take a lot of short turns to get the bolt out. Eventually, you'll run out of clearance for the L-wrench, so you'll have to switch to a stubby, 14MM, combination wrench to get the bolt all the way out. Be careful nut to cross-thread the bolts when re-installing.

starbai

Postby starbai » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:20 am

Also be sure to get the two bolts through the front of the oil pan. I wrestled with this a bit before I realized there were two down there (from underneath pointing upwards) directly under the front timing chain cover that were holding the cover on.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”