Timing Belt Rattle

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

kirandb

Timing Belt Rattle

Postby kirandb » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Hi Again,
I heard a rattle sound from my 06 pathfinder when i start the vehicle in the morning. The noise eases out once the vehicle gets warmed up. i was told by a mechanic that it could be a timing belt rattle. just wondering what exactly is this and what is the fix for it ? How will it harm the drivability if not treated.

Thanks,
kiran

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:42 pm

Well, for starters, you don't have a timing "belt," but, three timing chains: one primary and two upper, or "secondary," chains. It "could" be a chain rattle, but, without hearing the noise for oneself, it's impossible to say. The timing chains connect the crankshaft to the camshafts, which operate the valve train. The typical timing chain problem on these vehicles results in a "whining" noise. I think a bit more diagnostics needs to take place before discussing what the "fix" is.

kirandb

Postby kirandb » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:51 pm

Thanks. you are right about the timing chain. i was looking at possible issue of this rattle and one of the fix mentioned was a timing tensioner replacement. the noise is loud when you start it in cold and eases when it gets hot within a minute but doesn't die down. not sure what is the possible damage it can cause as long as it doesn't give a major breakdown.

08PathPounder

Postby 08PathPounder » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:43 pm

How many miles are on your Pathy?

Mine does what your describing. It's gotta be the chain or chains causing the noise. Ive listened a few mornings and have come to a conclusion that it's most likely the chain being loose at cold startup and becoming tighter once at temp. The ONLY time mine does this is the very first cold morning start. I'll try and figure out how to post a video.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:30 am

My 2012 will do the same thing especially when it's below zero out. Some say to try different oil filter brands and some say to try different oil? Frankly it just seems to be the nature of the V6 and it does not seem to effect the longevity.

labsy

Postby labsy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:33 pm

I use a very long screwdriver or a long metal rod on wooden handle to pinpoint rattle source. For example, with metal part of loooong screwdriver touch the alternator and lean your ear on the handle. You will hear the noise the inner parts of alternator produce very clearly.
So you can (carefully, not to touch the fan blades!!!) go from component to component and listen where the rattle is coming from.

This is old school diagnosing of, for example, bad bearings.

Gottcha86

Postby Gottcha86 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:04 pm

OLD
[/img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/JHZMa ... 36-h920-no

NEW

[/img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9j-YZ ... 36-h920-no

165,000 miles on my and it didn't sound extremely bad but as you can see it was getting there.

Boltonbene

Have the Same issue

Postby Boltonbene » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:08 pm

I'm having the same issue with my 05 Path. Replaced the oil and did an engine clean. Dumped oil conditioner. Thinking it was the lifters.
Called a mechanic friend that said it was the timing chain that may have expanded and rubbing against the rails. Sounds logical. But would be +$2K.

No power loss. Sound decreases at higher revs. Gone at 100kph (60mph).

Posted a YouTube video.
https://youtu.be/1Nc3g-6-Cuc

Any suggestions would be great.

BB

DirtDgr

Postby DirtDgr » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:02 am

Just had my timing chains and guides replaced a month ago. Mine actually made a ticking noise.. 130,000 miles. 05. They were toast! Gone!

It appears the timing chain tensioners or guides ride on the inside of the chain on this engine where most ride on the outside. So you have the rough part of the chain up against the plastic. Very bad idea and no way to change it.

Engine is WAY quieter now overall too.

New guy at front desk says he used to work at a Nissan dealer. Said this is common at 100,000+ there.

But in fairness I did let my oil get low and that is how I noticed it more. I had a bad o-ring that was leaking pretty bad and didn't keep up with it. Fixed that.

But it is not an if with this car, its just a matter of time and miles.

Fix is around $2G! Took two weeks in the shop waiting on parts. So may want to plan for that while its still drivable. Mine got loud enough I was afraid to drive it.

DirtDgr

Postby DirtDgr » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:57 am

here is a few pics I took of the worn ones

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:05 am

That's been wearing away for a very long time.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:16 pm

Wow! Can I buy them for spare?

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”