Replacing coolant hose clamps

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Gray

Replacing coolant hose clamps

Postby Gray » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:37 am

Just wondering how many have started replacing all of those radiator and coolant hose dummy clips on the VQ40 engine with something more dependable.

Another project... :)

Captain
Sponsored Member

Postby Captain » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:45 am

We use this type of clamp all the time at work for coolant and highpressure boost hoses for the turbos. I would sudgest jetting one with the spring between the nut and clamp. this way the clamp all ways put pressure on the clamp.

markspath

Re: Replacing coolant hose clamps

Postby markspath » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:11 pm

Greybrick wrote:Just wondering how many have started replacing all of those radiator and coolant hose dummy clips on the VQ40 engine with something more dependable.

Another project... :) .
I never had or saw a hose clamp fail during operation in 40+ years. Sure, I've blown hoses and have seen them blow, and I've had clamps bust when trying to reuse them after replacing/repairing a hose. I've used cable ties in a pinch when I had to replace a hose or jam a screwdriver through a faulty thermostat, and they worked well enough that I could drive through the weekend until I could get to an autoparts store.

I wouldn't waste the time or money on replacing the standard clamps. I keep a bunch of spares in the toolkit and, like I said, have never needed to use one except when changing a hose out. But when you do change a hose, definitely change both clamps. If it makes you feel safer to use the above clamps, far be it from my place to tell you no. I just don't think its a problem that needs to be fixed.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”