Misfire Cylinder#2

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jetstream87

Misfire Cylinder#2

Postby jetstream87 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:08 am

1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE

Not too long ago I started to feel the car shake a bit when I turn it on after driving it for certain period of time. After let it run for a while it came to stabilize itself and run properly. One evening I drove from work to the store in which it was about 10 miles, I say about 15 minutes later after shopping, went into the car, heard a bit of a knocking sound and then the check engine light started to blink and staid illuminated. Hooked up the OBII and it gave me P03002 (Cylinder 2 misfire detected) in which after letting it run a few seconds later the engine began to run properly. This weekend I switch the spark plugs, wires, and the car ran properly. Went to the auto part store, then to the grocery store, when I went into the car started up the knocking again started. When I pulled back I felt the car shake. What else can it be? There is no excess of fuel consumption, no high temps, regulates after letting the engine run a few seconds later, fuel cleaner was added, spark plugs changed.

---There was a time where I had the car warming up, engine running good, then the car stalled when I threw it in reverse, and shut off. Restarted and everything was fine--

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:14 pm

If you are still triggering the P0302, that helps narrow it down to what cylinder is the problem. A bad fuel injector could do this and it's something not unheard of on VG engines. There have been some issues with bad intake manifold leaks on the 3.3L's, although they are not real common. If you are not triggering that specific cylinder this time and it is just stalling, it could be a failing distributor, which is fairly common on VG engines. If that's the case, I would recommend replacing with a genuine Nissan reman part. A lot of people try to save a few bucks and go aftermarket, only to wind up replacing it again a year later, or less.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:57 am

smj999smj wrote:If you are still triggering the P0302, that helps narrow it down to what cylinder is the problem. A bad fuel injector could do this and it's something not unheard of on VG engines. There have been some issues with bad intake manifold leaks on the 3.3L's, although they are not real common. If you are not triggering that specific cylinder this time and it is just stalling, it could be a failing distributor, which is fairly common on VG engines. If that's the case, I would recommend replacing with a genuine Nissan reman part. A lot of people try to save a few bucks and go aftermarket, only to wind up replacing it again a year later, or less.

Today at the highway I began feeling like the car wanted to shut off, lucky it was able to get me out and into work. I got in parked it into the lot, turned it off, then turned it on and nothing running normal. Wonder what else it can be.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”