Vibration around 40mph and metallic popping

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Dwyck99

Vibration around 40mph and metallic popping

Postby Dwyck99 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:59 pm

My wife drives the 2008 PF so I am not sure of all the symptoms, but she told me she has been experiencing a slight vibration/shaking at 40-50mph. It stops when she lets off the gas. She asked me to check it out last night and as I was backing out of the driveway, I noticed a metallic, sort of "popping" sound. It wasn't consistent and repetitive, but I heard it a few times as I was backing out and then driving back up. I didn't want to chance a true test run, so my trip was only about 60 feet. She said car shifts fine. Could this be something with the wheels or what does it sound like it could be? Could it be U-joints? Where and what should I look for to examine or somehow test?

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Tue May 09, 2017 7:35 am

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing!

Here's a list of symptoms:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bad+whe ... e&ie=UTF-8

DiBo

Postby DiBo » Wed May 10, 2017 11:48 am

I agree that the wheel bearing is more than likely the issue. Jack the tire of the ground and see is you have any play when you shake the tire, like pulling it and pushing sideways horizontally and vertically. There should be 0 play. If there is any it's the bearing. Also it's a pretty easy diy project to replace the wheel hubs, maybe an hour on each side.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu May 11, 2017 2:54 pm

Could be wheel bearings, but I've heard of a few "popping" noise complaints caused by either bad ball joints or bad body mount bushings in R51's.

mixnight

Re: Vibration around 40mph and metallic popping

Postby mixnight » Sun May 28, 2017 3:02 pm

Dwyck99 wrote:My wife drives the 2008 PF so I am not sure of all the symptoms, but she told me she has been experiencing a slight vibration/shaking at 40-50mph. It stops when she lets off the gas. She asked me to check it out last night and as I was backing out of the driveway, I noticed a metallic, sort of "popping" sound. It wasn't consistent and repetitive, but I heard it a few times as I was backing out and then driving back up. I didn't want to chance a true test run, so my trip was only about 60 feet. She said car shifts fine. Could this be something with the wheels or what does it sound like it could be? Could it be U-joints? Where and what should I look for to examine or somehow test?
I have the same problem when driving from 40-70 mph, the shaking is worse at 40-50 then from 50-70 it reduces but is still shaking, it only happens when accelerating, there is couple of post in this forum talking about the same shaking and mentioning that it is the rear Ujoint. I bough a new Ujoint but it's not installed yet, so I can't tell yet if replacing the rear Ujoint can fix the problem

mixnight

Re: Vibration around 40mph and metallic popping

Postby mixnight » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:09 pm

mixnight wrote:
Dwyck99 wrote:My wife drives the 2008 PF so I am not sure of all the symptoms, but she told me she has been experiencing a slight vibration/shaking at 40-50mph. It stops when she lets off the gas. She asked me to check it out last night and as I was backing out of the driveway, I noticed a metallic, sort of "popping" sound. It wasn't consistent and repetitive, but I heard it a few times as I was backing out and then driving back up. I didn't want to chance a true test run, so my trip was only about 60 feet. She said car shifts fine. Could this be something with the wheels or what does it sound like it could be? Could it be U-joints? Where and what should I look for to examine or somehow test?
I have the same problem when driving from 40-70 mph, the shaking is worse at 40-50 then from 50-70 it reduces but is still shaking, it only happens when accelerating, there is couple of post in this forum talking about the same shaking and mentioning that it is the rear Ujoint. I bough a new Ujoint but it's not installed yet, so I can't tell yet if replacing the rear Ujoint can fix the problem
Confirmed: it was the rear shaft Front and rear UJoints, now the Path is like a silk when accelerating over 40 mpg. (4x4 have two shafts, one on the front and one on the rear, in my case the replaced Ujoints were on the rear shaft).

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”